Possible mothers to these Silverrudd's crosse? UPDATE 9/20/21

LadiesAndJane

Life is good...
9 Years
May 16, 2014
Hawaii
I just got these two lovely pullets from someone who purchased the eggs from a local breeder, who has a mixed flock of purebred birds. Unfortunately, the seller does not recall what color eggs these two hatched from.
I have posted about these two previously a few weeks ago to verify they were pullets before I picked them up. They were originally sold as straight run. They are now 7 weeks old. I am confident they are both pullets, so this is not what I am asking.

I already figured out the father must be a Silverrudds blue (Isbar), as the other options did not fit (Marans, Silkie, Jersey Giant)
A little trickier trying to figure out the possible mothers.
These chicks are both small, the blue one (Stella) being about 2/3 the size of the white one (Astrid). They both have slate legs with some pink toes. Astrid has what looks like a bit of yellow coming through on the shanks as well. Though hard to be certain of that. Astrid also appears to be a "paint" which would require some dominant white somewhere. Her flecks are definitely black and looks qute a bit like the coloring of a paint silkie.
Astrid has a single comb, Stella's comb I am not sure, but it looks like a modified pea comb.
Here is the list of the possible mothers. The ones in bold I have already eliminated. I honestly do not think the Jersey Giant either, as both these girls are quite small. My silkie chicks are about the same age and the little cockerel is bigger than Stella! Doubtful also of the RIR due to the chicks' coloring.
-Rhode Island Red
-BC Marans
-Barred Rock

-Easter Egger
-Gold Laced Wyandotte
-Silverrudds Blue
-Jersey Giant
-Red Sex Link
-Silkie
-Frizzled Cochin

If I can assume the red sex link has a leghorn parent, might be where the dominant white is coming from and the slight yellow cast to the shanks, then this is my best guess for Astrid's mother
If Stella indeed has a modified peacomb, then EE is my best guess for Stella's mother.

Would appreciate any insight you lovely chicken folks might have. 😊

Side by side for size comparison, both hatched on 4/15/21
IMG_9779.JPG

ASTRID
IMG_9782.JPG
IMG_9773.JPG
IMG_9781.JPG
IMG_9778.JPG
IMG_9777.JPG

STELLA
IMG_9768.JPG
IMG_9769.JPG
IMG_9770.JPG
IMG_9771.JPG

IMG_4488.jpg

Last edited:
My best guess is that Astrid is Frizzled Cochin x Jersey Giant. Her legs look willow meaning yellow skin. Since it's recessive I would expect both parents to have yellow skin. This also explains the feathered legs. Were the breeder's Cochins white? I believe that Stella is an Easter Egger x Silverrudds :)
Thanks!
I did not even see the slight feathers at the top of Astrid's legs! Good catch!🥰
Astrid is white with black flecks, like a paint, not real obvious in the photos, but definetely not splash.
I do not know the colors of the Cochins or Jersey Giants.
Do Jersey's come in dominant white like Leghorns?
The Silverrudds Blue rooster is also blue in color.😊

Update:
So seems Astrid is BCM/RSL cross most likely. Just laid this gorgeous egg!😊
Explains the dominant white coloring, the few feathers on her legs (though I would expect it to more), the Marans body type, apparent now as a new layer. Now I just have to wait to see what Estella does.
Happy!
CACAE663-1F0D-4035-A140-9C147DEC6E19.jpeg
FC33964F-48C7-4B4B-A1DD-DDD1077BB658.jpeg

Update:
So seems Astrid is BCM/RSL cross most likely. Just laid this gorgeous egg!😊
Explains the dominant white coloring, the few feathers on her legs (though I would expect it to more), the Marans body type, apparent now as a new layer. Now I just have to wait to see what Estella does.
Happy!
View attachment 2825227View attachment 2825231
I love her black specks! Her egg is beautiful. :love

Back
Top Bottom