Possible Mycoplasma G./Coryza (Breeding for resistance)?

Kalina96

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2020
Hello everyone, greetings from EU!

I think my chickens have Mycoplasma G. or Coryza since one of them smelled badly. Some of them had bubbles in their eyes, sneezed and the smelly one still has a swollen spot under her eye, I treated them with Tylan powder, all of the symptoms disappeared except the swollen eye in that 1 chicken, the smell is gone tho. also 1-2 of them have voice breakage when they make a sound, otherwise they seem happy and hyperactive, but the one with a swollen eye is the most hyperactive one with great appetite, she lays an egg every day and I was pretty much surprised. I am not planning to cull them because there are wild birds around, I suspect they infected them so I wouldn't achieve anything by bringing new girls and allowing wild birds to infect them again, my chickens are for egg production, for my family and I also sell from time to time, for eating not hatching. Now, what really interests me in case of MG, is that I came across few posts where ppl kept their MG positive chickens and the strongest ones were used for breeding resistance. English is not my native language and such term gives me few ideas so I would really appreciate if someone could clarify me the term of a 'Breeding resistance chickens for MG' and has anyone had any success in it? Also, does resistance apply for Coryza as well?

Thank you all very much!

Last edited:
Once any chickens come into your flock, they will be exposed to the disease, and the disease will be passed on until all birds are gone. The best way to deal with this if you don’t want to cull, is to close your flock. Do not breed or hatch or bring in new birds, and do not sell or give away any. Someday when all have passed on, you can wait a few weeks, and get new baby chicks from a hacthery. Can you ask a vet or poultry college in your country, how to get testing or a necropsy to help positively identify the disease? Sorry that you are dealing with a disease.

We currently have two birds dealing with Mycoplasma G or Coryza. They are quarantined. We have been alternating meals of 1 and half scrambled egg with 1 clove garlic per bird, then fermented feed. We feed fresh Spinach Tree leaves (Chaya), Cabbage, Rocket, Basil, weeds of all kinds and grass cuttings 4 times a week. They have improved and regressed over the last three weeks and seem to be improving now again. We would also like information on building resistance through breeding.

Hello everyone, greetings from EU!

I think my chickens have Mycoplasma G. or Coryza since one of them smelled badly. Some of them had bubbles in their eyes, sneezed and the smelly one still has a swollen spot under her eye, I treated them with Tylan powder, all of the symptoms disappeared except the swollen eye in that 1 chicken, the smell is gone tho. also 1-2 of them have voice breakage when they make a sound, otherwise they seem happy and hyperactive, but the one with a swollen eye is the most hyperactive one with great appetite, she lays an egg every day and I was pretty much surprised. I am not planning to cull them because there are wild birds around, I suspect they infected them so I wouldn't achieve anything by bringing new girls and allowing wild birds to infect them again, my chickens are for egg production, for my family and I also sell from time to time, for eating not hatching. Now, what really interests me in case of MG, is that I came across few posts where ppl kept their MG positive chickens and the strongest ones were used for breeding resistance. English is not my native language and such term gives me few ideas so I would really appreciate if someone could clarify me the term of a 'Breeding resistance chickens for MG' and has anyone had any success in it? Also, does resistance apply for Coryza as well?

Thank you all very much!

There is no such thing as breeding for resistance against Coryza or MG. There are many different strains of MG. Birds are forever carriers of both diseases and reservoirs of infection that will easily spread the diseases to other birds. Both diseases have been around for a long time and I'm sure breeding for resistance has failed due to the infectious nature of both diseases.
You either depopulate (cull) and disinfect everything, or maintain a closed flock. No selling or giving away eggs to be hatched, MG can be passed through eggs.
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps034http://www.zoologix.com/avian/Datasheets/InfectiousCoryza.htm

Back
Top Bottom