possible new additions but worried about the roo

bossfrog

Songster
Aug 10, 2021
Backstory:
I'm out of town (driving distance, not a flight) and went to a friend of a friend's house today. Big yard, donkeys, goats, lots of chickens.
There were three silkies there, two hens and a roo. They were in a pretty small coop- no real indoor hosting space, only a nesting box, and about 8 foot by 4 foot by 1 foot tall run. As soon as I got there I noticed that the coop was falling apart and absolutely filthy. Door hinge broken, food was okay but what little water there was was filled with poop and dirt. Immediately went to work catching the three chickens and looking them over. I'll reply to this on mobile with the couple of pictures I got of their feet.
Feather cysts, huge bumbles, long nails (and spurs in the boy's case), and grape-sized clumps of dirt, poop and feathers cemented to their toes and legs. It was disgusting. I did what I could for them but the person who was there wasn't the owner and didn't have any clippers or disinfectant.
None of them were easy to catch, especially with the goats trying to get into the run, but I was able to examine them all. One of the hens was more docile and one of them was pretty jumpy, but overall they were very sweet. Could be that they're sick, I don't know. The whole thing made me sad and angry; I apologize for coming off that way but it's fresh in my mind. You could say I'm partial to silkies :,)

The reason I'm here:
The owners are getting rid of the silkies. (Gee, can't be because they can't take care of them, huh?) I would love to take them. My family is considering. Unfortunately the rooster is a hard no due to mating concerns and the HOA in our area. If I do get the opportunity to rescue the two hens, would it stress the rooster out too much to take them away from him? Also- I may only be able to take one of the hens; would that separation also be too much for her and the other two? I don't want him or the girls to become more stressed than they already are. If I left them, they would remain living as they are until another person adopted them. Can anyone also point me to some information on quarantining properly? No telling if they're vaccinated (that will be fixed if I get to take them) or what they could be carrying.

Our flock is vaccinated for Marek's. We have two Eglus, four "normal" sized chickens (Rhodie, brahma, etc.) and three bantams. The "big girls" and "little girls" are in separate coops. I also have Squirt, my disabled silkie who lives inside.

I don't know what to do. Any suggestions are welcome.

D6948509-1430-467E-B1BF-C6A4CF5D7055.jpeg

Didn't get to take a ton of pictures as I was working as fast as I could and the goats were getting after me
BFEE8715-96BC-4E2B-BE43-3E8D5B70CB65.jpeg

^This one had one of the biggest clumps. It can be seen hiding behind the foreground toe
8AABF4D8-3585-4BC9-B72B-C018548BCE53.jpeg

^Poor boy. I don't know anything about roosters but at the very least that can't be comfortable walking. Dug out a chunky feather cyst too.
6ED6D52F-68B0-48D2-872D-22B596A918B8.jpeg

^This is the one I would most likely adopt if I can only take one. She was so sweet.
A63FCF3B-84BF-458C-9F4C-1B5D77F8B087.jpeg

Little one had a bumble the size of my thumbnail. Her claw was curled inside that dirt clod.

Oh my God! Those poor babies! I don’t know about separating them if you can only take one or two, because I’ve never been faced with that.
These chickens need help. I am in East Texas - can I help?
could you pm about it? i’m secretive about giving my location in public 😅

Be very wary of taking any bird you feel sorry for. The chance of bringing in major problems to your own flock is VERY REAL.

Quarantine is something most backyard people cannot do properly. If you are not doing it properly, you are not doing it. It is all or nothing, and if you don't do it properly, you are risking all sorts of diseases and parasites to your current flock.

Be very wary of taking any bird you feel sorry for. The chance of bringing in major problems to your own flock is VERY REAL.

Quarantine is something most backyard people cannot do properly. If you are not doing it properly, you are not doing it. It is all or nothing, and if you don't do it properly, you are risking all sorts of diseases and parasites to your current flock.
What does proper quarantine involve? Can you point me to any resources?

EDIT: found the BYC quarantine article

I'd leave them to be re-homed together. You can't take all, so why split up a flock.

The mud balls can be easily remedied by wrapping the bird in a towel, then carefully taking a pair of pliers and applying a bit of gentle pressure to the outer edges of the muds balls all the way around taking your time, this will cause the mud ball to crack and crumble, so you can begin to carefully and gently remove the ball. This is a process and should not be hurried, but it works very well. Feathered feet, rain and mud = accumulating mud balls, nothing that unusual there.

Dug out a feather cyst? What's the follow up care plan for that?

Here's some basic info on quaratine
https://the-chicken-chick.com/quarantine-of-backyard-chickens-why-and/

Back
Top Bottom