Possible overheated chicken, need opinions

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by farmgirl77, Jul 15, 2010.

1. farmgirl77

farmgirl77 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2009
    my 20 week old EE is acting strange. It is a heat index of 105 today and all the birds are panting, etc, but she is the only one not panting. she is moving slowly and is lethargic. tail more down than normal. Is this typical of overheating? or something else? they were picking through trash earlier that a coon knocked over before I noticed them, so she may have eaten something... I put her in a dog crate in the basement with a damp washcloth, ice water, and a fan on her. also crop felt fine, back end and belly felt fine, breath did not smell sour. do you think it is overheating? thanks for the help in advance.

2. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    I don't know why she isn't panting if she is hot. What you are doing sounds good, but if you are concerned she is not cooling off enough, put "barely cool" water in the sink and put her legs in it for a few minutes, slowly dunking her further and further until her body is half way in the water. It will help her cool off faster. Careful that the water is not too cold, you don't want to "shock" her body. How is she doing now?

3. farmgirl77

farmgirl77 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2009
    Checked on her about 10 min ago. she flew up to a table so I thought she was maybe back to normal, but then she did the "trance" thing again. she sure feels cooler to the touch. she also struggled a bit in my arms, which she wasn't doing earlier, so that is good. she is still not acting right, but a little better I'd say. I'll check again soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by