Possible pasty butt?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tryingtohaveitall, Apr 16, 2009.

1. tryingtohaveitall

tryingtohaveitall Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Hi,

Newbie here. I've been doing a lot of reading before we got our chicks, trying to do things right.

I have been checking my 5 day old chicks twice a day for pasty butt. This am my EE cockerel had a bit of poo stuck to his vent, so I pulled it off. Tonight it seems more swollen. I couldn't tell if it was pasty butt or not, seemed like there was some stuck there so I washed his butt off in warm water. Any other suggestions? I can see his vent clearly, but it does seem like it's protruding a small amount. He's acting fine.

Help? Please. [​IMG]

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Hi and Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Here's a pic of what it looks like:

[​IMG]

If you have any mineral oil or baby oil on hand, you can wipe some of the oil on their butt after removing the poop to help it keep from sticking. That's what I do and it works wonders.

Hope this is some help!

Dawn

3. tryingtohaveitall

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Thanks, Dawn. I'm not sure that it is pasty butt, though I am worried that by pulling on the bit of poo earlier that I caused a small prolapse. [​IMG] If it's not better in the morning, I'll take a pic of it for more help.

Thanks again! [​IMG]

4. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    It sounds crazy but soak your chicks butt in a bowl of warm water for a few minutes. Then, dry it off and clean away the poo (should come right off). Be warned!!! If it is pasty butt you may have a flood of poo come at you. Finally, afterwards apply baby oil, vaseline, olive oil or whatever you have.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  5. jadell

jadell Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2008
    North Carolina
    I was told once that corn meal helps combat pasty butt. Just put a little in their food. Anybody had any luck with that?

6. tryingtohaveitall

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Thanks everyone. He looks great this morning, so whatever it was, the warm water wash and time seems to have made it better, whew. [​IMG] Thanks for your helpful suggestions!

7. kmb221

kmb221 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Shippensburg, PA
    Have 6 chicks and 2 had pasty butt this week. I soaked butts in water and then applied vasoline. I added a little bit of molasses to their water and gave them some oatmeal. The next day no more pasty butt.

My husband just shakes his head at me. I told him I would do the same for him. lol

Backyard chickens is such a wealth of information. I just got the book written by Gail Damerow so I'm anxious to read that also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by