1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Possible Power Outage

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicks Galore3, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    We are having a ice/snow storm, and there is a possibility of the power going out. I have 3, 3 1/2 week old ducks in the basement using heat lamps. If the power does go out, how can I make sure they are warm enough? We do have a gas fireplace that we use to keep the house warm, and if worse comes to worse my family will let me put them by it, but I was wondering if there are other options, or if they will even need help. (They are not fully feathered.) I guess my question is - what is the proper procedure when you have young ducklings and the power goes out?

2. CochinLover1

CochinLover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2015
    Ohio
    I had a power outage when I had my chicks. I put them all in a smaller box, so they'd keep themselves warm. And putting them next to a fire, but not too warm, that is a very good plan.

3. CochinLover1

CochinLover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2015
    Ohio
    You sound prepared. Good luck [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by