Possible problem. 2 batches of eggs, different times, same incubator.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by matt1898, Dec 15, 2013.

1. matt1898

matt1898 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2013
    Broadway, NC
    In the words of my gf... "We haven't really thought this through, have we?" lol.

So I've got one batch of eggs that are growing nicely that have been in the LG incubator since the 12th, however, me being the genius that I am, I added another batch of eggs one week after. I candled all of them today and 25 are developing(from both batches). I didn't realize that on day 18 you aren't supposed to open the incubator at all until after the hatching is complete....so this means I can't turn the new eggs. I'm guessing that I should probably just go buy another incubator, or will it be ok to not turn the second batch for a few days?

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I'm a little confused, the 12th was three days ago unless you mean the 12th of November which was 4 weeks ago and way past due to hatch chicks.

As far as staggered hatches go, people do them all the time with success. Some don't turn the younger eggs during few days of lock down and others go right ahead and turn them. I've read of a person using a pencil through the air holes to turn the eggs. Others use egg cartons to hatch in with a block (lego or other handy kids toy) under one side to keep eggs tilted. Move block to other side to tilt "turn" your eggs. This makes turning easy and very fast to keep humidity loss not so drastic. Don't remove lid all the way. Your worry window is less than two days from first pip to last hatched so turn to your hearts content till first pip or wiggling eggs if you like.

The biggest fear on BYC during "lockdown" (I think overly so) is shrink wrapping the chicks. This will only occur after chicks start to pip the shell and takes a drastic drop in humidity level. I maintain 55 to 60% humidity during hatch myself and to do so must open the lid some to release the excess moisture while they are hatching. I don't have shrink wrap problems. My biggest problems with humidity have been with too much moisture causing the shell lining to get glue like. Now if that dries out your chick is in trouble and will have problems getting out if a weaker chick. Basically I advocate not letting humidity get over 60% during "lockdown".

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  3. matt1898

matt1898 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2013
    Broadway, NC
    My bad. I guess I had some brain fog going on with it being so late. I mean't to say that the first batch have went in there on the 5th, and the second batch on the 10th. I forgot that I only see my gf on tues/wed so those eggs are from her birds.

As far the staggering of hatches goes, thanks! I can manage to tilt the eggs in the bator since I have them all lined up nicely, with enough room to move around a bit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by