Possible problem

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by aidenbaby, Apr 10, 2009.

1. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    We just got home an dgot the chicks all settled in but I noticed a possible problem with one. It looks like it dislocated a toe because it is bent under the rest of the foot. Is this a recoverable thing, a birth defect, or will it seriously hamper the quality of life for the chick? I can take a pic if someone will tell me how to post them.

2. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Get some tape and tape it against the closest toe. That will help it heal.

3. aidenbaby

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    I got a better look at it and it appears to be the ankle. I really don't want to take it back because I have a feeling they'd euthanise it but on the other hand, these are my first and they need to be healthy. Does anyone have experience with it?

4. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

Don't tape it next to the other one, make a web sort of foot with the tape. Put the tape on the bottom and fold it over but leave the toes spread out. then cut the excess off. You can support the ankle if necessary with a toothpick piece and tape.

5. aidenbaby

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    Update: Ok, I ended up calling the vet and the store. The store did not have any advice and the lady I spoke with seemed a little defensive (honestly, I wasn't expecting much from them any way). The vet said to give it a few days and that sometimes dislocations will work themselves out. The vet also said that chickens can live perfectly normal lives even with injuries/deformities like this. The chick seems to be doing just fine as far as eating and drinking and only gets a little worried (wing flapping)when it loses it's balance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by