Possible prolapse - advice needed please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ejctm, Sep 8, 2010.

1. ejctm

ejctm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    VILLAGE IN THE SHIRES
    Hi Guys,

Today, I noticed one of my hens, while doing a poop had a round red fleshy protuberance pop out of her vent. It was about the size and shape of the end of my thumb. Once the poop came out, this bit of flesh popped right back inside. The poop was nice and soft.

She is 2 years old and a "virgin" bird, i.e. never been mated. She hatched and raised a brood this summer and then went into a full moult, and has just started laying again a couple of weeks ago. She seems perfectly perky in herself, eating and drinking well. She is a free range hen.

She eats normal layer pellets (plus some grower that I feed to my young ducks) plus kitchen scraps, fruit, veg, weeds, grass, insects, etc. She is 2 years old and a healthy happy hen usually.

Should I be worried about this? Is there anything I can do to prevent it happening again? What should I do?

Many thanks

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    No worries, this is normal. It is when it stays out that you've got a problem.

3. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    I would keep a constant eye on it. As long as it stays in it's fine. If it pops out and stays out, you will have to separate her asap so the other hens don't pick at it and kill her. As far as I know, there isn't much you can do to prevent it. Some hens have muscle weakenss. Just make sure she always has good feed and lots of water to drink. Hope this helps.

4. ejctm

ejctm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    VILLAGE IN THE SHIRES
    That is helpful, thanks.

Do you know what has caused it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by