Possible Prolapse??? *Graphic PIC* UPDATE on post #9

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lizzy06019, Jul 24, 2010.

1. lizzy06019

lizzy06019 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2009
    Connecticut
    My little EE (Sunny) is 21 weeks old and I think she may have a small prolapse? I've done some research tonight and I'm pretty sure she does have one. She's acting completely normal and it's only by chance that I even found this. I checked about 5 of my other girls just to compare vents and she's the only one that looks like this. I'm not 100% sure she's even laid her first egg but there's a 1 in 5 chance she has. I have 5 EEs all together and have gotten 2 mint green eggs (assuming they're both from the same girl) Here is a photo of what I found.

[​IMG]

I have the following to help her if this is a prolapse...
    Preparation H
    Witch Hazel
    Polyvisol
    hospital cage
    disposable gloves
    bag balm
    and last but not least, you fine people [​IMG]

Please give any advice you may have for me to help her. I greatly appreciate all your help in advance!!! (Sunny appreciates the advice too)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  2. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    It looks like a small prolapse. Use some preperation H and watch her for awhile. I had an older hen recently that had one and the hemm. cream really helped her. Gloria jean

3. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
  4. lizzy06019

Oct 26, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Thanks! That was a great thread. Do you think she needs to be secluded or can I just put some prepH on her a check on her tomorrow? I was worried that the prolapse could get worse if she tries to lay an egg? What do you think?

5. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    Quote:Thanks! That was a great thread. Do you think she needs to be secluded or can I just put some prepH on her a check on her tomorrow? I was worried that the prolapse could get worse if she tries to lay an egg? What do you think?

Hi! I would DEFINITELY separate her until it's healed. If the other hens get a glimpse of it, they will peck at it until they kill her.

Jen

6. lizzy06019

Oct 26, 2009
    Connecticut

Hi! I would DEFINITELY separate her until it's healed. If the other hens get a glimpse of it, they will peck at it until they kill her.

Jen

OK... Sunny's inside now. I just gave her a quick warm cleaning on and around her vent just to get a clear picture of what I was dealing with. It seems as though the prolapse is very small and can easily go from being outside the vent to inside the vent all on its own. After cleaning the area, I put some bag balm on and around the vent as well as PrepH. She's in the dark basement where it's cool (not too cool though) with some water with polyvisol in it and some of her regular feed. I'll check on her again in the morning to see how she's doing. [​IMG] She sounds like she settled right into the hospital roost. What a trooper!!!

7. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Yup, that's a prolapse and a fairly small one at that. My biggest girl (a buff orp) prolapsed with her first egg (shell-less) a few months ago. Hers was really bad, a good 3 inches inverted. Scared the bejesus out of me. After much research here, we used honey on a latex gloved finger and pushed it back in, I didn't have any of the medicines lying around and didn't want to wait too long. Tried the honey first cause that's what we had and it worked great. She spent a couple days in the house till I was sure it wasn't going to happen again. She of course had to have a bath to wash the honey off her feathers as she was a sticky mess.

Came to the conclusion that she wasn't getting enough calcium. As she's such a big bird, she doesn't like to fly much and wasn't getting to the cage cups I had next to a roost. We have since corrected that and the oyster shell is on the floor.

Good luck with her!

8. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Listen, I had this happen once. What I did was just rinse it a little with cool water to get the dirt and debris off and carefully pushed it back in with my finger. It came partially out a couple days later but I just pushed it back in again a little farther this time and that did the trick.

9. lizzy06019

Oct 26, 2009
    Connecticut
    *Update*

Sunny's doing OK. The swelling and redness has gone down a lot but I notice there's still a little redness. Now that I've been able to get a couple good looks at it, it looks like the "prolapse" is so close to the edge of her vent that it really can't stay in. It almost just looks like a small bump on the edge of her vent now. She's eating, drinking and pooping normally. There's a small cup of crushed oyster shell in there for her. The girls have had free choice oyster shell in their run now for over a week but, of course, I don't know if she's been choosing to eat any. She seems anxious to get back with her sisters but I hesitant to put her back out there until all the redness is gone. What do you think??? Can a prolapse be a small (pea sized) bump that's actually attached to the vent and can't really be pushed back in? Or does she have something else??? Either way, what I'm doing seems to be helping her.

I'm even less confident that she's even laid her first egg because I there was a nice mint green egg in the nesting box this morning. I could have 2 mint layers but I've never had more than one mint egg in a day, so I'm assuming there's only one EE laying at this point.

Thanks for all your advice... keep it coming. I had a horrible dream last night about my girls and worry that I won't be able to help Sunny recover 100% from this [​IMG]

10. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I did the prep H for close to 2 weeks just to be safe and mine had a bigger prolapse than your gal. Mine is back 100%. The stuff works wonders, I was a bit doubtful to be honest. As long as it looks red I would keep treating until its back to normal. Just keep it up she'll be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by