Possible Prolapsed Vent with Necrotic Mass

CheepCheepChook

Hatching
Mar 16, 2022
Hello everyone, I've been a long time lurker and am relatively new to backyard chickens. I've had my flock for a year and a half (8 birds, with 9 chicks I am integrating in next week if things go well).

I have a Green Queen who seems to have a prolapsed vent with a necrotic mass. My bird's mostly freerange so I didn't notice she was acting strange until a few days ago. She seemed lethargic, walking a bit funny, and clearly uncomfortable. She's a very skittish hen and I only managed to catch her yesterday. When I did, the smell was immediate. Her entire backside was covered in poop and I noticed a mass hanging from her backend. I made a warm epsom salt bath for her and she didn't struggle at all as I examined her.

I cleaned her up and really got a good luck at the mass. I truly can't tell if it's a prolapse or not since it seems to be thinned out closer to her body. The mass itself is clearly necrotic and bleeding - covered in a pale yellowish/whitish scale that doesn't come off when I bathe/soak her. (She's had 3 baths over the last few days and only the poop comes off, nothing from the mass although a stringy, bloody mucus has come from it) The tissue hanging from her is about the size of a golf ball.

I separated her from the rest of the flock. She has access to fresh water and I've been feeding her hard boiled eggs with the shell crushed - which she ate with gusto. She seems fine in terms of her temperament. Clearly uncomfortable and still lethargic, but otherwise active and alert. I cleaned her rear as best as I could then covered in Blue-Kote (it was the only antiseptic I had on hand). Hoping to grab some Vetricyn today. I have no avian vet anywhere nearby and am at a complete loss as to what to do. I am truly concerned that I will need to put her down. She's a lovely girl and I'd like to do whatever I am able to help her.

Thank you for your time and for reading. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Blu-kote is too drying to put on mucous membranes. Do not continue with it. The bath was fine and necessary, but from your description, her prognosis isn't good. But you can try to help her. I've written this article with everything spelled out to treat a prolapse and egg binding. Yes, they go together, and you need to treat for both. Read this and you'll know exactly what to do for your hen. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ng-from-vent-prolapse-oh-my-what-to-do.76124/

Blu-kote is too drying to put on mucous membranes. Do not continue with it. The bath was fine and necessary, but from your description, her prognosis isn't good. But you can try to help her. I've written this article with everything spelled out to treat a prolapse and egg binding. Yes, they go together, and you need to treat for both. Read this and you'll know exactly what to do for your hen. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ng-from-vent-prolapse-oh-my-what-to-do.76124/

Thank you very much for your response! I'll read it right now. Recommendation for the necrotic mass?

There isn't much you can do for it. Treat it as part of the prolapse and hope the necrotic bacteria hasn't gone systemic.

It would help if you posted a photo of it so we can see how extensive it it.

Back
Top Bottom