1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Possible protruding chick vent? Please help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shelbyw, Apr 30, 2016.

1. shelbyw

shelbyw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2015
    Monroe, Georgia
    [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
    I am thinking that one of my chicks has a minor case of a protruding vent. I clean it at least 2-3 times a day and she seems to be healthy and she is drinking, eating, and pooping normally. She doesn't have any fluff back there except for maybe a couple spots. the other chicks don't seem to be bothering her or anything either. Anyone??

2. shelbyw

Jul 1, 2015
    Monroe, Georgia
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. shelbyw

Jul 1, 2015
    Monroe, Georgia
    [​IMG]
    Here is an above picture of it

4. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    If its still sticking out, put preparation H on it and GENTLY push it back in. They sugar water also works, but I've never tried it. OOPS, I forgot, make sure its clean .

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  5. shelbyw

Jul 1, 2015
    Monroe, Georgia
    I just cleaned it again and I will try the prep h and see if it works. How many days does it usually take until it works?

6. shelbyw

Jul 1, 2015
    Monroe, Georgia
    I have sugar bath and witch hazel(which I heard works well) and I am going to use the witch hazel but I don't know how long I should soak her in it

7. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Prep h only takes a few minutes. It takes the swelling out. The prolapse may take a couple of times to get it all back in. And the prep h may allow it to go back in by itself. Just keep checking .

8. shelbyw

Jul 1, 2015
    Monroe, Georgia
    Ok thank you so much:) I will keep you updated as soon as I see improvement

9. shelbyw

Jul 1, 2015
    Monroe, Georgia
    I put the prep h on it but the chick isn't moving as much as it was. I don't know if it is to late or if it will be ok by tonight. It has its own separate tub right now and it has always had electrolyte in its water. She is having a hard time walking and it kind of scares me that she is probably to far gone to save :/

10. JoycieBoycie

JoycieBoycie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2016
    Idaho
    [​IMG]

Does it look a little like this? This is my Prissy who turned 3 weeks old today and I've been fighting this issue for the past week. Her vent protrudes and poop gets stuck in it. She also chirps when she poops, like it's uncomfortable or hurting. I'm not sure if you're having the same issue but for Prissy, I've concluded that she's at the bottom of the pecking order and not drinking enough water; if any at all. The things I've tried that didn't work are: epsom salt bath, honey water with ACV, electrolyte water, yogurt, water with coconut oil, Prep. H, and feeder mash. What I have done that did seem to work is hydration by dropper every hour or so of either regular water, probiotic water, and molasses water (laxative) because in Prissy's case I think she is constipated due to dehydration. I also continue to put Prep. H on the vent and alternate with coconut oil in hopes that it will start to help shrink her vent. I also clean her vent often and have kept her on the wet feeder mash to promote water intake. As I said, this started a week ago. As of today, her vent doesn't protrude as bad (but it's still a bit of an issue) because the frequent hydration has helped her to feel better (more energetic and more active with less sleeping) and made her poop softer. Another issue I'm having now is that her vent is still quite large due to all the straining and protruding that she has gone through in the past week. It's definitely larger than a normal vent when it's not protruding.

Good luck and I hope your little one gets on the mend soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by