1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Possible Quail House

Discussion in 'Quail' started by SuperPeacockman, Jun 18, 2011.

1. SuperPeacockman

SuperPeacockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I am getting very interested in coturnix quail and I was thinking about using a rabbit hutch I have as a coop for them. It would need to be foamed in the inside and I would need to fix and bulletproof the floor. Can you think of any other suggestions, is the wire to big on the sides? I estimated that it is 7 to 8ft by 3 1/2 to 4ft, how many coturnix could fit in it?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is why we no longer have the past inhabitant, and why the floor needs to be bullet proofed.

2. SuperPeacockman

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Also what kind of foam do you use on the inside?

3. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    looks great, any snakes in your area? I like the 1x1 wire, but Quail are known to poke their heads out for predators to snatch off, may want to reinforce with 1/2 x 1/2 HWC.
    I have heard it from more than a few people, once you get Quail, you will have every predator in the county come by and try to punch their ticket at the buffet. course, maybe your wabbit knew that? sorry wabbit.

foam? for what? looks fine to me.

4. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:That's what I'd do too. I don't know that i would foam it, In the winter I would probably tarp it over for some protection from the howling winds.

5. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Quail will eat foam insulation, so if you use it, you will need to cover the foam with something like some paneling. Any basic foam insulation sheeting will work -- I'd use whatever gives the most R-value (insulation value) for the least thickness. Probably the pink Owens Corning stuff.

I believe they say 1 quail per square foot is considered an acceptable density, but personally I think about half that is better. If they have more breathing room, less likely to have problems related to overcrowding. So, if it were me, I would put about 15-16 in there, since its roughly 30 to 32 square feet.

6. SuperPeacockman

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I thought you are supposed to put foam on the ceiling so when they fly into it they do not hurt themselves.

7. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    My Humble recomendation to you is

You should raise it more, Make easy clean and less chanse for predator to grab them this way you may not to change the wire to a smaller size

Also Make a door on th back of the coop so you can clean it and collect the eggs

Once you have your birds is not as easy to get in there.

8. SuperPeacockman

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Quote:There is a door see the hinges in the second pic

9. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    They can fly up and hit their heads, but you don't have to have foam. For the wire I would wrap the whole thing in 1/2 inch HWC. Wrap some good wire around the legs so nothing can pull their legs through the wire.

10. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

nice little quail house from the looks of it ! Yes i would change the wire to 1/2 " HWC to protect the birds from being pulled through...1" is too large . wrap wire around the legs to prevent predators from getting at them from there /chewing thru the wire bottom.Otherwise it looks good to me. Coturnix in my experience don't "boink" their heads a who;e lot once they're past the brooder stage.
    Have fun and good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by