1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Possible Resp. Diseases?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by citycountrygirl, Oct 27, 2013.

1. citycountrygirl

citycountrygirl New Egg

Jun 30, 2013
    I could really use some advice! We sadly lost all but 1 of our flock the other day to an animal attack. Because we adored our chickens and with winter approaching, we decided that we would get more chickens that are already laying instead of starting all over again.

We did our research and found someone who was selling their chickens off (they are a hatchery). They are NPIP certified and just had their flock tested a few days ago, which came back clean. We bought 5 chickens that were around 1 year old.

We brought them home yesterday, and this morning, we noticed that when we went to clip their feathers that two of them had what seemed to be colds! I also noticed that one seemed to be sneezing and coughing. :(

With that being said, I'm slightly freaking out because I don't know what to do! I haven't introduced our other hen to the group (thank goodness!), but I fear that now that I've brought this disease on to our property, we will always have it! And now we may not be able to introduce new chickens to the flock. Unfortunately, what I've read on resp. diseases seem to be all over the board on how to handle it!

Am I being paranoid? Is this common? Is this from the stress of moving them to a new coop? Will they be okay? Do I get antibiotics or wait because maybe it's stress?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    The stress of moving can give them respiratory problems... breathe easy and give them time to adjust to their new environment... keep them apart from the rest of your flock for at least one month... hopefully all will be well!

3. citycountrygirl

citycountrygirl New Egg

Jun 30, 2013
    Great advice, thank you!! :)

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They probably do have a respiratory diseases. Many respiratory diseases don't show themselves until something stressful ocurrs. Moving to a new coop would qualify as stressful. Respiratory diseases are fairly common, as many people don't realize that their birds have a disease until they get stressed out. Keep them isolated, and give some electrolytes and probiotics. They may need antibiotics if it gets worse, or if other birds get it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by