Possible respiratory ailment - sounds like a stuffy nose when talking

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by starlogva, Jul 18, 2011.

1. starlogva

starlogva Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    Sorry it's so long. I didn't want to leave out something that may be important.

One of my black Ausralorps, 14 months old, looked droopy (head, tail, and wings down) on July 7th and when I examined her she sounded like she had a stuffy nose, but only when talking. Her breathing sounded normal. I immediately isolated her. None of my other 25 birds (4 and 14 months old) are exhibiting symptoms.

Her behavior normalized within a day. Her posture is upright, eyes bright and clear, no sign of mucous in the nares or throat. She is eating and drinking with gusto and feels like her normal weight. If I take her outside, she scratches, pecks, and runs around like nothing is wrong. Her poop was mostly solid, but with a watery component. There often are no visible urates.

I've been fogging her 2-3 times a day with Oxine since 7/10. I've been treating with .5cc Tylan 50, injected into the breast muscle, starting 7/13. Since I started the Tylan, her poop is no longer in a solid lump. It's in small pieces in an area approximately 3"x5". Also, either the Tylan injections are bothering her and she's pulling her breast feathers or she's starting to molt. I suspect molting because some of the other girls are losing feathers. I haven't seen any lice. She still sounds like she has a stuffy nose when she talks. Otherwise, she seems perfectly healthy. She shakes her head occasionally but she doesn't breathe with her mouth open.

I was using the deep litter method (pine shavings), along with DE on the floor and in the nest boxes, and the day after I raked out the litter, I found blood in the droppings in several places under the roost. One bird (not the australorp) was very sick (wouldn't eat or drink) and was isolated. All were treated with Sulmet in their drinking water for coccidiosis June 28 through July 3 (2 days full dose, 4 days half dose) and all recovered.

She laid one egg the day after I isolated her, but none since. Egg production is way down with the other hens, too. I'm attributing that to the coccidiosis/Sulmet/molting, but I could be wrong.

Please advise whether I'm wrong in thinking she's ill because of her nasally voice. Could she have breathed DE and still be irritated after being isolated 11 days? Frankly, I probably wouldn't have noticed if she hadn't looked so droopy that one day because she's a little skittish and doesn't get held as often as some of the others. If she's sick, I want to treat her. I also don't want to spread an illness to the others. I don't have a chicken vet so I'm on my own unless I call with a specific request.

Please help because I really love my girls.

2. starlogva

starlogva Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    She's still the same after 6 days of Tylan injections. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by