Possible respiratory infection?

Jparsons

Chirping
Dec 18, 2018
A few days ago we noticed our one chicken was holding her one eye closed occasionally. The eye appears to have a cloudy film or discharge in the corner. We have been treating with VetRx and vetericyn eye gel for two days with not much improvement, I am about to start terramycin eye gel. However, I have since noticed that several of our chickens seem to be shaking their heads quite frequently when they're sitting in the coop and am worried that this may be a respiratory infection issue instead of just an eye irritation/infection of the one chicken. So far there hasn't been any other symptoms though. Should I jump to treating all with an antiobiotic and which?

A few days ago we noticed our one chicken was holding her one eye closed occasionally. The eye appears to have a cloudy film or discharge in the corner. We have been treating with VetRx and vetericyn eye gel for two days with not much improvement, I am about to start terramycin eye gel. However, I have since noticed that several of our chickens seem to be shaking their heads quite frequently when they're sitting in the coop and am worried that this may be a respiratory infection issue instead of just an eye irritation/infection of the one chicken. So far there hasn't been any other symptoms though. Should I jump to treating all with an antiobiotic and which?
Can you post a photo of the hen and her eye?
Have you tried flushing the eye with saline, can you see if the film/discharge can be removed by pressing it out?

The others - have you looked them over for lice/mites? Looked inside the ears for any debris/infection?

I would not treat anyone with antibiotics unless they are clearly symptomatic of respiratory illness. There are several respiratory diseases that chickens can have, but not all respond to antibiotics to begin with. Symptoms of Bacteria-like disease (Mycoplasma/Infectious Coryza) can be treated with antibiotics, but you need to know which disease so you get the right antibiotic. Viruses like Infectious Bronchitis and ILT would have to run their course.

Consider their environment - have you closed off ventilation? Is there excess ammonia in the coop? Have you added any new bedding recently? Any mold?

Can you post a photo of the hen and her eye?
Have you tried flushing the eye with saline, can you see if the film/discharge can be removed by pressing it out?

The others - have you looked them over for lice/mites? Looked inside the ears for any debris/infection?

I would not treat anyone with antibiotics unless they are clearly symptomatic of respiratory illness. There are several respiratory diseases that chickens can have, but not all respond to antibiotics to begin with. Symptoms of Bacteria-like disease (Mycoplasma/Infectious Coryza) can be treated with antibiotics, but you need to know which disease so you get the right antibiotic. Viruses like Infectious Bronchitis and ILT would have to run their course.

Consider their environment - have you closed off ventilation? Is there excess ammonia in the coop? Have you added any new bedding recently? Any mold?
I'll try to get a good picture later when I bring her in and try to clean out the eye. I can't tell if it's something in her eye or if the eyeball itself is damaged or something.

Can I just get regular old saline solution from a drug store?

I haven't seen any signs of lice/mites or debris/infection in the other chickens but I'll take a closer look for that.

There hasn't been any changes to their coops. We just replaced their bedding yesterday with the same bedding we have always used (large pine flakes) to make sure their coop is clean.

Thank you for the advice! We've only noticed the head shaking in the other chickens so far but we are a little paranoid about it. We will see what happens the next couple days.

Hi! My opinion is that your birds do not have eye disease. Head shaking is more climate dependent- wind, draught, dampness and so long. I have several experience, bird first get bubbling water to the corner of the eye, especially roosters. If you dont notice it, the eye is swollen already. If its swollen, sorry only antibiotics. But give others the oatmeal porridge with fresh fine chopped garlic. Garlic have been such a savior for several issues in our flock.

Hi! My opinion is that your birds do not have eye disease. Head shaking is more climate dependent- wind, draught, dampness and so long. I have several experience, bird first get bubbling water to the corner of the eye, especially roosters. If you dont notice it, the eye is swollen already. If its swollen, sorry only antibiotics. But give others the oatmeal porridge with fresh fine chopped garlic. Garlic have been such a savior for several issues in our flock.

Thanks! We've been having a weird winter and the weather has changed from being in the 50s to the 20s so maybe the sudden weather change inspired the head-shaking. I'm not sure what she did to her one eye. It isn't swollen at all, just looks like something milky in it, no bubbles.

Can I just get regular old saline solution from a drug store?
Yes, you can use saline from the drug store. If not, you can make your own - 1 teaspoon salt per quart of water - boil for 15 minutes to make sterile. If you have any unused, then you can store it in a sterilized jar for up to 24 hours.

Thanks! We've been having a weird winter and the weather has changed from being in the 50s to the 20s so maybe the sudden weather change inspired the head-shaking. I'm not sure what she did to her one eye. It isn't swollen at all, just looks like something milky in it, no bubbles.
Ok, i dont know your location. But I am from North Europe and this year's winter is like spring. Usually we have snow in January and 4 F degrees. But spring flowers are beginning to bloom.

Yes, you can use saline from the drug store. If not, you can make your own - 1 teaspoon salt per quart of water - boil for 15 minutes to make sterile. If you have any unused, then you can store it in a sterilized jar for up to 24 hours.
Perfect, we'll try that

Ok, i dont know your location. But I am from North Europe and this year's winter is like spring. Usually we have snow in January and 4 F degrees. But spring flowers are beginning to bloom.
We're in northeast america and are also having a very mild winter until this week!

Back
Top Bottom