Possible Rickets?? New to chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Laurel Run Alpacas, May 17, 2011.

1. Laurel Run Alpacas

Laurel Run Alpacas New Egg

May 17, 2011
    Hello,

I was given 6 chicks a little over a week ago. All have been fine until just a couple of days ago when 2 started having trouble walking and standing. I've researched quite a bit and figure its either rickets or marek's. I've started them on the rickets diet yesterday and was curious when I should start seeing an improvement if its that? I'm just not sure how long to let them continue on if its not going to get better. The other 4 are perfect............ growing, eating, running and attempting to catch bugs.

Thank you,

Kristin

2. Laurel Run Alpacas

May 17, 2011
    OOPS, I should have said they are 8 weeks old.

Kristin

3. Laurel Run Alpacas

May 17, 2011
    BTT, HElP........I don't want to give up on these chicks. They are my 9 year olds.

I'm so new, any advice would be appreciated.

Kristin

4. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    I hope it's not Mareks.
    Hopefully someone can help you.
    Have a bump!
    <3

5. Laurel Run Alpacas

May 17, 2011
    Please can someone answer the question........how long can it take to see improvement on the rickets diett?? They are constantly falling over and I keep righting them. I'm I just prolonging the inevitable?

1) What type of bird , age and weight.- 8 weeks, bantem
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. - trouble walking and standing, feet curved under, no real body control
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?- 4 days
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? just the 2
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. None that I'm aware of. One is the smallest of the group, possibly being picked on.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. -water, chicken starter, rickets diet
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.- green, thicker
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? isolated together in a small box with a heating pad under the box with a pillow case on the box floor. Rickets diet basically hand fed several times a day.
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? working on them myself.
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by