Possible Rooster pecking wound that got infected, picture included

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HockneyMom, Apr 6, 2018.

1. HockneyMom

HockneyMom Hatching

Apr 6, 2018
    I have a mixed flock of 10 hens and 1 roo. One hen, Ms. Rosie, a year old EE was hiding behind the nest boxes for a week, I thought she was going broody and just left her alone.
    After about a week I checked on her and she had most of her saddle feathers missing with hard yellow skin exposed. We are certain our aggressive mating roo had been going after her. She had lost so much weight and could barely stand or open her eyes.
    I brought her into the house, my kids and I got her to eat and drink and she perked up. I kept her in the house for about a week but she was trying to escape the bin so I brought her back to the coop after roosting time.
    As soon as I brought her in Big John hopped down to go at her agamlm nin. She went back behind the nesting box, where I am guessing he can't reach her and he went back to bed.
    I separated him from the flock for a few days but noticed she was still hiding.
    So this afternoon I picked her up to check her healing. She was pecking at it but I thought maybe it was itchy as it healed. It looks awful.
    She doesn't smell sweet or rotten and is eating/foraging and drinking fine. She followed me to the house tonight so again we have a house chicken.
    Has anyone seen anything like this before? Any tips on how to help her heal or even if she will?
    Thanks! 20180406_191346.jpg 20180406_191343.jpg

Attached Files:

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Waiting on a Fresh Garden Salad

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Bluekote and keep it separately but still in the coop or next to it until it heals. You said saddle feathers which is a rooster trait, are sure it's a hen?

You will need to figure out why it's being attacked. Generally it can be because it's acting odd or there's not enough room for it to get away. Could you share a whole body picture too?

The Phantom likes this.
  3. HockneyMom

HockneyMom Hatching

Apr 6, 2018
    I used the wrong term for the feathers. I just mean the feathers where you would put a saddle. I am sure she is a hen because the roo mounts her frequently plus she lays eggs.
    I think I am going to let her free range and just coop her at night (once she heals) after the others have gone to bed, she did today and was so happy and active even in a snow storm!

Attached Files:

oldhenlikesdogs likes this.
  4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Waiting on a Fresh Garden Salad

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Many times when a chicken jams itself in a corner or spot to hide the whole flock will participate in pecking. I have had it happen a time or two. Sounds like you have a good plan on how to manage her.

5. HockneyMom

HockneyMom Hatching

Apr 6, 2018
    Thank you! I haven't seen any others pecking at her but I will keep a look out for it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: