Possible shock? Video included

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wickedhens, Oct 22, 2014.

1. wickedhens

wickedhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2014
    WV
    So it has been wet and rainy and chilly in my area of WV and my chickens have been doing fine until today. I heard my polish hen making a distress noise almost like a little cry she was puffed up and seemed cold, and when she saw me she huddled by my leg I put her in the coop several times but she kept following me I finally brought her in and I slowly warmed her up and placed her in an old brooder box in front of the heat and left her be while we went to church. Came home and really thought she was dead she was laying on her side but when I opened the box to pick her up she kicked her feet and then oddly twitched her head. Now she seems to be fine she is standing with her head tucked into her back part of her wings. It almost seemed like thats what she wanted to do when she was twitching her head but just couldn't find the strength and balance to do so. Has anyone ever seen this and does anyone have suggestions on how to help her or make her more comfortable?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]Here she is acting fine with her little face tucked in like she is going to sleep this his how she has been for the past half hour

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The head twitching in the video looks a bit neurological. When I have had a really sick one a couple of times, they would tuck their head under a wing. I believe that is from being cold, so I would bring her inside, or give her a heat lamp to keep her warm. How old is she, and have you added any new birds recently?

3. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

I had a bantam with a head injury move her head like that... Is a head injury possible.

4. wickedhens

Apr 3, 2014
    WV
    No new birds, and she was hatched early march, she is definitely staying inside until she is better, now she is falling over again I've never seen anything like it, its driving me nuts I feel helpless,

5. hennible

My bantam couldn't walk or sit properly for days always leaning to one side, when she started walking she fell to the same side, took weeks for her to recover.
    Best of luck hope you figure out what's wrong

6. wickedhens

Apr 3, 2014
    WV
    That sounds exactly like what she is doing, is there anything special you did for your bantam or was it just a wait and see game

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Was she vaccinated for Mareks? A vitamin deficiency, head injury, or Mareks could be possible causes. Sometimes coccidiosis can cause neurological symptoms from dehydration and an electrolyte imbalance. I hope you can figure it out. Vitamins with electrolytes (SaveAChick, others) for poultry would possibly be helpful.

8. hennible

I didn't do too much other than bring her in the house and keep her isolated. I knew 100% it was hard trauma. Take eggcessive's advice, and rule out everything else first and then it's a wait-and-see game... My girl recovered ... mostly ....she is still a little "different" but all the physical issues resolved.

9. hennible

How's the hen?

10. wickedhens

Apr 3, 2014
    WV
    She didn't make it thru the night [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by