Possible Sick 7 week old Pekin

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by weebles&wobblesmom, Jun 21, 2011.

1. weebles&wobblesmom

weebles&wobblesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    I have a 5 7 week old Pekin ducklings and 1 of them isn't acting right all of the sudden. She/he more or less just lays around. It's still drinking but I don't know about eating and it's still very alert. It will run from you when you get by it. But when I picked it up, it didn't fight me. I did take it out from the rest of my flock just in case and I put some ViTel in ALL the water.

I know with birds like my Cockatoo, the saying is " A sick bird is a dead bird", I'm assuming it' probably the same for all birds. I also know that by the time you know they're sick, it's usually too late.

Is there a chance that everything is OK? It's eyes still look bright and clear. No discharge from nose, eyes or any where else. My husband, more or less joking, said maybe she's gonna lay an egg, but it's too young, right?

Any ideas are welcome.

Now I'm a little worried it wont eat because I took her away from all the other ducklings and chicks.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    You are being conscientious, and that's great.

No, a sick bird is not always a dead bird. Not with my runners, anyway. We did lose Drei last fall, but the other ten are still with us after 16 months. They've had their ups and downs. But it is tricky to figure out what's wrong sometimes.

When my ducks seem a little off, the first thing I do is mix up vitamins / electrolytes / probiotics in their water. I usually give them this once a week or so anyway, but sometimes a couple of weeks go by.

Anyway, I also check feet for any signs of bumblefoot, which can make them feel yucky and if I see anything I start with triple antibiotic ointment 2 or 3 times a day.

Then I feel their belly, to see if it's overfull feeling, too firm, eggbound, etc. So far no one has had any of that, by the way.

I listen to their breathing. All I usually hear is a slight nose whistle. Normal.

I give them some gentle hugs and tell them silly things and see how they react.

Some things I've tried when I'm not sure what the issue is, other than extra vitamins, is letting them swim in tepid water inside for a while - it gives me a chance to watch them, too; put some therapeutic activated charcoal which is supposed to absorb toxins in their water; feel their legs, back and neck for any sign of trauma; see if their ears seem swollen, or if they have a punky smell; check the vent for any sign of swelling or bleeding.

There are some internal problems that don't show up until ducklings get a little older. But sometimes they just have an off day and need a little TLC and rest.

Please keep us posted.

3. weebles&wobblesmom

Mar 24, 2011
    Thank you. I get too attached to most animals and I am really worried about it. (I think it's a she.)

I did put ViTel in the water for all of them. I work at a farm store and was actually thinking about picking up some antibiotics tomorrow and just giving them all some just as a precaution.

I didn't notice anything on her vent, cause I didn't look her over some. I think I will try the putting her in the bath tub tomorrow and see what happens.

I just went out and checked on her and she hasnt eaten anything yet. Dont know if that cause she's by herself now or cause she's sick.

I will keep you posted.

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Does she know about peas yet? I knew Drei was in bad shape when I could not get her to eat peas.

5. weebles&wobblesmom

Mar 24, 2011
    She has only had peas once. My oldest duckling (who I raised in my tub), she LOVES peas. Although since she's been out with all the other chicks and ducklings, she runs from me now. She's the "queen" out there though. When she quacks, even then chicks come running. I don't think my rooster is going to learn to crow because Wobbles makes all the noise in the mornings....[​IMG]

6. weebles&wobblesmom

Mar 24, 2011
    Update! My ducklings is fine. Thank goodness. She is eating and running around like normal again. I seperated her from everyone (but only for a day) added ViTel to ALL the water and prayed. Something worked.

Thank you to everyone on here for the support and advice. You guys are awesome.

7. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by