possible sick chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jen34chickies, Jun 22, 2016.

1. jen34chickies

jen34chickies Just Hatched

Jun 12, 2016
    Western Massachusetts
    I have an Americano chick that is three weeks. Its been fine up until a few days ago. Its drinking and eating fine, eyes are clear as is its bum. It seems weak and puffed up. I did remove it from the other 8 chicks and put it in a quarantine. Should I use a heating pad or a heat lamp? This is the first time dealing with anything like this.

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Definitely keep it somewhere warm and quiet. Even if it's very hot out, it should definitely have access to a heat lamp or other heating method - as well as a place to get away if it gets too hot. When it comes to chicks, there is really little that can be done besides keeping them warm and offering some electrolytes and probiotics in their water.

Make sure and keep an eye on the other chicks, as lethargy can be an early sign of coccidiosis. Are you feeding a medicated starter?

3. jen34chickies

Jun 12, 2016
    Western Massachusetts
    I don't think its medicated started food? Should I be? I'm new to all this. I can say as of right now the other chicks seem fine.

4. Donna R Raybon

Donna R Raybon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2016
    Get some Sulmet or Corid and treat all of them if your feed isn't medicated. I have seen coccidia cause them to be lethargic and i have had them act normal and fall over dead.

5. jen34chickies

Jun 12, 2016
    Western Massachusetts
    Thank you so much for all your help! Just sent my husband out to get some and I will be switching to a medicated feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by