possible sick hen

Kknight3

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 19, 2014
One of my hens has been acting weird lately. She hasn't laid an egg in about a week, doesnt want to come out of the coop, moves slower than normal, and her comb is a little purple. And I havent seen her eat but I dont stay out there and watch her all day so she might be but just not with the others. Does anyone know what might be wrong?

I'm honestly not certain on a darkening of comb. Any change in comb color (after maturity) is cause for concern though. Have you wormed your flock recently?

It's always a good idea to remove any bird that is acting strange. Make sure she is warm, give electrolytes, and give her a good once over. Look for any wounds, or scabs that could be parasites. Check vent area.

Google eyp in hens ... Could be poor circulation also... Is it getting colder where you live? Heading towards winter?

I live in Memphis so it isnt very cold yet. Still no changes in behavior. Ive noticed that she doesnt roost with the others at night either.

Have you felt her abdomen or vent area? I am pretty new to chickens myself but it sounds like maybe she has an egg stuck.

I live in Memphis so it isnt very cold yet. Still no changes in behavior. Ive noticed that she doesnt roost with the others at night either.

If she is still in the coop with the others and still not behaving normally, you should definitely isolate her. This is for her safety (other can pick on sick birds) and for the others (to keep illness/parasites from spreading).

I have not checked to see if she has an egg stuck. Im fairly new to raising chickens myself. How do I check?

Poke a finger inside the vent about 1-2 inches. If you feel an egg, give her a calcium or Tums tablet by mouth, and soak her in a shallow warm bath for 30 minutes. Massaging the lower abdomen toward the vent may also help to pass a stuck egg. If there is no egg, then check her crop to see if it is empty or full, hard or soft. Look her over closely for presence of lice or mites on lower abdomen and neck areas especially. She could have something stuck in her gizzard, or she may need to be wormed with Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid goat wormer. If you are in the US, she could be starting to molt, and they can act off or sick. A pale comb during this time is normal, but a purple comb is never normal, and may be a sign of heart or breathing problems

Back
Top Bottom