Possible sick peachick

Pics

jsaxman1111

Chirping
Apr 26, 2023
Hello all...we have one peachick, who is 1 weeks old today. It was struggling so we bought it in and put it in brooder with some chicks. They get along great. He was doing great. Today he seems to want to sleep a lot, keeps closing one eye, feathers published, wings down. I took pictures of his stool and how he has been. When I went to change the water, he ran across the cage fine. Seems a little wobble when he stands still. I did get him to take some water with electrolytes and probiotics in it. Any ideas what is going on? I'm new to this. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 20230517_180411.jpg
    20230517_180411.jpg
    381.1 KB · Views: 587
  • 20230517_182154.jpg
    20230517_182154.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230517_181855.jpg
    20230517_181855.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230517_182133.jpg
    20230517_182133.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230517_180421.jpg
    20230517_180421.jpg
    383.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230517_180427.jpg
    20230517_180427.jpg
    426.7 KB · Views: 6
Just a couple pics with its wings dropped.

Attachments

• 20230517_183425.jpg
    20230517_183425.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230517_183421.jpg
    20230517_183421.jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 6
How is the peachick doing? Are the other chicks in with it still healthy? I'm not sure what could be wrong. The droppings don't look like coccidiosis but it might be a good idea to treat for that anyway, just in case. Toltrazuril (Baycox or any other brand with the same active ingredient) is the treatment. Don't give that to the chicken chicks though if you want to eat them or their eggs in the future. You can give them Amprolium but that's not effective enough in peafowl.

How is the peachick doing? Are the other chicks in with it still healthy? I'm not sure what could be wrong. The droppings don't look like coccidiosis but it might be a good idea to treat for that anyway, just in case. Toltrazuril (Baycox or any other brand with the same active ingredient) is the treatment. Don't give that to the chicken chicks though if you want to eat them or their eggs in the future. You can give them Amprolium but that's not effective enough in peafowl.
Thank you for replying. He seems to eating and drinking. I noticed that one of the chicks was packing at him. Now his one eye is swelled and has a cloud over it and a white spot. I put a warm salt water compressor on it and took him out of there. I think its because he is so different from them. Any suggestions on what to do would be appreciated. We had lost a single chick awhile back I thinj because he was lonely. So we thought we would get companion for this one. But they are growing faster than he is. Or she. Any suggestions in what you do would be helpful. We thought about putting a barrel between them so that he could see them but they couldn't peck him.

Are there maybe drops I could get you out in his eye?

Do you mean you lost another peachick just before this one started acting unwell? Are the other chicks you have peachicks as well or are they chicken chicks? Yes, some sort of divider to keep it separated where it can see the others would be good. Did you look into the coccidiosis treatment? Even if there is a different issue, coccidiosis is something that will take a weak chick down very quickly.

I'm sorry, I have no experience with eye infections so I don't know. Can you post a photo of the eye? Hopefully then someone else may be able to advise you more about that. And could you let us know where you are? That way people might have more of an idea what treatments you may have access to.

No...the other peachick passed a few weeks ago. It was a single chick that hatched. Yes...the other chicks are chicken chicks and they are all acting fine. I will get the coccidiosis treatment. I wasnt sure if it would hurt it if that wasn't it. Now that I know...I will try it thank you. This is its eye. Again...thank you for your help. You are a blessing.

Attachments

• 20230520_134039.jpg
    20230520_134039.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230520_133914.jpg
    20230520_133914.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 5
For someone who professes to not know much about peafowl Waterfaery gives good advice.

Cocci is the number one killer of chicks so that is most likely the problem but there can be other reasons your chick is not feeling well. It could have gotten chilled or picked up a bacteria infection although it takes time for a bacteria infection to manifest itself either can kill a chick quickly.

Make sure the chick can warm itself and yet get away from the heat source. Give it high protein soft food like hard-boiled egg mixed into its crumbles. And treat all chicks with toltrazuril at least once monthly until winter.

By not filling out your profile you make it harder for us to know where you are and what climate you are dealing with so our advice can not be spot on for your particular case.

The eye is probably going to be blind, cloudiness is a sign of going blind. The swelling around the eye is from being pecked on. Mixing different ages and species of chicks can be dangerous if not watched carefully. Be glad they were not guinea keets, they have a habit of eating the beaks off of peachicks.

Thank you for your advice. It was suggested to me to get chicks. Apparently that was not good advice to follow. And where am I filling out my profile? I thought you was filled out. I gave my info when I signed up.

Thank you for your advice. It was suggested to me to get chicks. Apparently that was not good advice to follow. And where am I filling out my profile? I thought you was filled out. I gave my info when I signed up.
Sorry...I meant I thought it was filled out. I am in Pennsylvania. I was told that this was a good place to come for advice as well did not get a lot of info from where we got them and she suggested this site. I thought I was doing good for the chick. I've done everything that I was told. Thank you for your advice.

Back
Top Bottom