Possible sinus infection

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 9hensnarooster, May 27, 2019.

1. 9hensnarooster

9hensnarooster Chirping

Dec 1, 2018
    My EE rooster, Gerald, has been sick. With all the rain her in OK and humidity I think he has a sinus infection. Eyes swollen shut, white matter covering eye ball, breathing through mouth, drainage from nostrils. This was 2 days ago but was sick a day before and I did not know it. I’ve cleaned the nostrils and gotten the thick eye matter out, gave 1 cc of oxytetracycline two days ago, and another 1/2 cc yesterday. Have given electrolyte water 3 times each day and a little sugar water. I can tell he has a fever. Breathing has improved while making sure nostrils stay clean and eyes are now open but there is still swelling and eye ring is slightly pale. He has been in a dog crate in my laundry room since first doctoring him. I have used a mixture of coconut oil and antibiotic ointment without pain killer on entire head, eyes and nostrils to keep moist as I have been using a rag with warm water daily to keep drainage cleaned off. No rattling on the chest, just mouth and nose. Some sneezing but only a couple of times a day. Is there anything else I can do? Is there anything I can give for Fever? Should I give more oxytetacycline today? Any advice is thankfully welcome.

2. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
  3. cheekychick3

cheekychick3 Songster

Apr 30, 2019
    WEST WALES UK.
    Hi There.
    Sorry to hear your sad news, it is not good, when they are ill. But you should be proud of yourself, doing what you have done already. This may sound a bit crazy, but
    in the past, we have also had a few of our girls the same. Then this one time, i decided
    anything is worth a try, so you have probaby heard of VICKS vapour rub in a jar. You will
    need 2 of you, to do this, just one of you hold him, gently cover his eyes, and talk to
    assure him. Then dip cotton bud in Vick, and dab each nostril, you can also dab a bit
    on his crop. Sounds mad, but trust me, it will clear his airways stop the sneezing, keep doing this every couple of hours. Another tip, is if you have eye ointment, or drops,
    apply to his eyes, as it will help as well. We have used this many a time, in the past.
    If you have not got Vick, a dab of eucalyptus oil will also help. Within a few hours it will bring his fever right down. Hope this helps.

4. 9hensnarooster

9hensnarooster Chirping

Dec 1, 2018
    Thank you I thought about the Vicks but I did not know if it might not be good for Chicken. He is feeling better this morning but one is still closed and he still feels extra warm about his head

5. 9hensnarooster

9hensnarooster Chirping

Dec 1, 2018
  6. cheekychick3

cheekychick3 Songster

Apr 30, 2019
    WEST WALES UK.
    Hi, if it is any help, we have treated ours with Vick many a time. It will not hurt her,
    at all, plus it helps fetch their fever down.

7. 9hensnarooster

9hensnarooster Chirping

Dec 1, 2018
    I’ve put it on him and put his dog crate outside for some fresh air today. Thank for your help.

8. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    The antibiotic you are giving him.

I'm asking if it is a powder or liquid?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: