Possible soup crop

Mickey211

In the Brooder
Jan 18, 2021
Hello everyone.

I am just wondering if you could help me?

A week or so ago I noticed one of my hens had become more lethargic and was excluding herself from the other two, she would often sit on a step her neck down and feathers propped up, sometimes asleep. At first I thought it may just be the sudden cold snap that was doing this.

Today I noticed she was sitting by the waterers just drinking occasionally but never moving. Curious I went out and felt her crop it was full of liquid with some but very little seed, I slowly massaged her crop for about 5 mins, then put her down she did a runny poop then slowly walked back to her water about 10 mins after that she walked out and stood next to my garden her neck still down, I went back out and massaged her crop again before putting her back in the coop with the others for the night.

Lately I have noticed runny poop under their perches as well.

I am really worried about her, I have attached a picture of her poop.

Please help. 6E876956-388D-4DAF-876D-6B801C766091.jpeg

Today I noticed she was sitting by the waterers just drinking occasionally but never moving. Curious I went out and felt her crop it was full of liquid
It does sound like her crop is not emptying. Check it again first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink. If it's still fluid filled, follow the steps in the article below.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

You don't mention if she's laying eggs or not. Most of the time a crop issue is a symptom of an underlying condition and is sometimes hard to resolve depending on the cause.

It does sound like her crop is not emptying. Check it again first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink. If it's still fluid filled, follow the steps in the article below.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

You don't mention if she's laying eggs or not. Most of the time a crop issue is a symptom of an underlying condition and is sometimes hard to resolve depending on the cause.
She is only a young hen and has previously layer eggs but has stopped recently.
Thankyou for the article

Hello everyone.

I am just wondering if you could help me?

A week or so ago I noticed one of my hens had become more lethargic and was excluding herself from the other two, she would often sit on a step her neck down and feathers propped up, sometimes asleep. At first I thought it may just be the sudden cold snap that was doing this.

Today I noticed she was sitting by the waterers just drinking occasionally but never moving. Curious I went out and felt her crop it was full of liquid with some but very little seed, I slowly massaged her crop for about 5 mins, then put her down she did a runny poop then slowly walked back to her water about 10 mins after that she walked out and stood next to my garden her neck still down, I went back out and massaged her crop again before putting her back in the coop with the others for the night.

Lately I have noticed runny poop under their perches as well.

I am really worried about her, I have attached a picture of her poop.

Please help. View attachment 2716243
Edit after massaging her crop yesterday, she appears more lovely today, still yet to check her crop today.

She is only a young hen and has previously layer eggs but has stopped recently.
Thankyou for the article

Edit after massaging her crop yesterday, she appears more lovely today, still yet to check her crop today.
I'm not sure I understand. She was laying eggs but has stopped?
How old is she, what do you feed?

Feel her abdomen below the vent between her legs - any bloat or fluid?
I would re-check her crop again first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink.

I'm not sure I understand. She was laying eggs but has stopped?
How old is she, what do you feed?

Feel her abdomen below the vent between her legs - any bloat or fluid?
I would re-check her crop again first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink.
Yes she was laying eggs and has now stopped, she is about 9 months old, I feed her A grade layer mash seed with molasses. No there is no fluid build up in her legs or under her abdomen. I rechecked her crop this morning and it was still full with liquid.

Back
Top Bottom