1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Possible sour crop what to do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mustangsaguaro, Mar 3, 2013.

1. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    I have a cockerel that I think might have a sour crop I am not sure. For feed they get all whole grains and have been on this diet for quite some time. I allow my birds to free range and they have access to the green grass that is growing. Not sure if it could be due to that. Only thing I changed is today I put some ACV in their water and not sure if that might have triggered it or not. Also his comb is starting to turn blue on the tips. I know this is bad. I tried massaging his crop and stuff did come out. He seems pretty distressed. What should I do or not do for this? I work during the day and leave while it is still dark so it's not like I will be able to do anything tomorrow morning before I leave fore work. Only think I can do is if it was due to the water change is dump it out and put fresh water w/ no ACV in it. Please don't tell me to call a vet and take him to a vet. My husband would kill me plus I am not one to take my chickens to a vet unless they are SQ and are very valuable.

Thanks

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

3. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    I have also delt with this over a month ago, mine started with impacted and then later to sour. Check the crop first thing in the morning to see if its hard, that's impacted and if its soft, it's sour, however it can still be blocked, I've vomited mine a lot and also treated with cloritmozole 2% vaginal cream. I did 1.5ml twice daily for at least 10 days, however prior this treatment I was able to get the liquid nystatin, it caused sever diarrhea and after 5 days cut dose in half and combined it with clotrimazole until I ran out of Nystatin. . You need to figure out which crop condition you have. It took over a month to get my hen back to normal. I just got her as ready to lay hen. In a week I had problems. It can be treated.

Here is my link and another good link, they are long.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/739851/hens-crop-not-empting-at-night-please-help
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/714586/sour-crop

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  4. mustangsaguaro

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    I was able to check his crop this morning. There is still food in it. I would say it is really hard but it's not really soft either it's between hard and soft. When he breathes I can smell it and it does smell sour. There's nothing I can really do this morning since it is dark. I will try vomiting him when I get home from work. I did dump the ACV water out and put fresh water in. Is it good for them to have water or a bad idea?

Thanks.

5. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    They need constant water. It's easiest I find to vomit them in the mornings and do it over your toilet, if you can. See wht comes out. There is a risk for aspiration and he could die. I put my hen in my shower with her water, kept hervwarm. Take his food away for 24 hrs. Massage the crop to try to losen things up.

6. rbaker0345

rbaker0345 Big Mamma Brahma

When he is that impacted, and you vomit him, you have to make sure that you clear the food from his mouth so that it doesn't block the opening to his trachea. A good remedy for Sour crop is lactose free Kefir or yogurt, most stores now carry lactose free yogurt. You could also just go to the pharmacy and pick up a probiotic supplement. This will get things going again. In the future, offer some grit, even if they're free range.

7. mustangsaguaro

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    He does have access to water. Hopefully he will drink during the day while i am gone. Didn't know i should withhold food from him. Just saw the post about with holding food. I did massage his crop this morning to help soften it. I will if need be withold his food tomorrow and put him in a pen by himself. I hope i don't come home to a dead chicken tonight. He seemed pretty depressed this morning. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by