Possible Sour Crop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Happster

Happs
Apr 5, 2020
Cloud Nine
1. What type of bird, age and weight?
She is a Light Sussex hen, approximately 4 years old. She has put on weight recently, as she went through quite a skinny stage.
She feels about the right weight now. The others are similar weight.

2. What is the behaviour exactly?
She isn't eating, not even treats, she is standing hunched, and she is not interacting.

3. How long has the bird been exhibiting these symptoms?
Literally just this morning.
She was absolutely fine last night.
She was sitting in the nest this morning and wouldn't come out. I assumed it was broody behaviour, as she has been broody often before.

4. Are any other birds displaying similar symptoms?
None at all.

5. Is there any bleeding or injury?
None whatsoever. My first thought was egg binding, as she was in the nesting box, but I checked her over to be sure. Her crop was soft. She hasn't eaten anything this morning, I'm positive. So I'm leaning towards sour crop.

6. What has the bird been eating and drinking?
Layers pellets, and water.
She does get scraps, but I'm careful not to give too much fruit ect, and it's a minimal part of their diet. I don't remember her getting much wet, fermentable food.

7. How do the droppings look?
I have no idea, I'm keeping her in the utility room waiting for her to go so I can check.

8. What medical steps have you taken so far/intend to take?
None yet, apart from taking her in to monitor the droppings. I offered her scratch to see if she would eat it. I knew she was properly ill when she didn't eat it.
I will not be able to take her to a vet. Our vets know nothing about chickens, and she won't get anything out of going there.

I also noticed her legs are shivering a bit.
She has always been a very healthy bird. She lays an egg almost every day. She has been broody tons of times, and she is my go-to broody if I want chicks hatched.
She is a lovely girl and super friendly, I'd like to save her if I can.
I do have two chicks with Coccidiosis, so I wondered if she'd caught it, another reason to watch the droppings. But I'm pretty sure it's sour crop.
Also she has not had full head feathers for a little while.
Thanks for any and all replies.

Here is a photo of my girl.

Attachments

• IMG_20200714_120731.jpg
    IMG_20200714_120731.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200714_120728.jpg
    IMG_20200714_120728.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 0
Thank you, I will check. I don't think there is.
She hasn't been near long grass within the last couple days- rain all day here recently and they've kept to their coop.
I am just taking her plain yoghurt with chopped fresh garlic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom