Possible Sour Crop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Pele, May 5, 2011.

1. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Hi all [​IMG]

I'm in need of a little brainstorming by all you wonderful chicken geniuses out there. I have a 1 week old barred cochin chick that is giving me no end of trouble recently, and I'm starting to suspect sour crop.

This chick has thin and watery poop, and doesn't seem to have any variation like the others do. he/she constantly pastes up to the point where we are soaking her little bottom twice a day.

She's growing and feathering out, but I have started to notice that she smells a lot like curdled milk. It's not her behind, but distinctly her head. I would immediately suspect sour crop, but she does not have an enlarged crop, and when I massage that area, I feel nothing solid.

I'm completely stumped. I've dosed her with some olive oil today in the hopes of dislodging anything that might be in there, and for the first time in my life, I have given massages to a chicken. (if I didn't feel so sorry for her, I'd feel supremely silly).

Please let me know if you all have any different ideas or suggestions on what I could do to help her.

Thanks in advance!

2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    bumping

I'm pretty convinced it is sour crop now. I'm treating her with Olive Oil and Live culture Yogurt. Please let me know if there's anything else I can do for the poor thing.

3. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    So sorry, wish I dad some advice. I have a failure to thrive chick right now and it's hard to watch them suffer. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by