Possible that I got a roo fron the pullet bin???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by foREVer, Mar 30, 2011.

1. foREVer

foREVer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    SE Michigan
    No pics as of right now, but has anyone heard of getting a roo from the pullet bin?? I have a BR who's comb is a little bit taller than the rest, and they are about 3-4 weeks old. (I can't keep track of them anymore, lol) I am just worried about it being a roo because I already have a Whyandotte cockeral.

*Will be posting pics later today or tomorrow*

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

As the hatcheries like to say - sexing is an art, not a science. So yes, it's possible. Or sometimes folks, especially with kids, handle the birds and don't put them back where they came from. Is the comb turning pinkish, or is it still yellow???

3. foREVer

Mar 10, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Quote:The comb is still yellow, sorry forgot to add that in.

I am just a little worried bacause the comb is, like, BEYOND visible. [​IMG]

4. savingdogs

savingdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

Where I bought my "sexed pullets" they said they were "90 percent accurate". Mine were all female, but I would imagine they were saying that one in every ten would or could be male. I got 12 females.....Good luck!

5. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    A picture will definitely help, as the barring on the boys is lighter than on the girls. Usually accuracy of sexing of those tiny chicks is around 90%...or so they say...

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Does the chick look a lot lighter than the others? Or about the same as the others? Male BRs tend to appear lighter in color... I don't worry about a big comb unless it's a big pink comb...lol.

7. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    I got barred rock pullets and tried to pick a roo out of the mixed bin. One of the two I got is definitely a roo. His comb did get bigger and redder quicker (they are 6 wks old) but one of the hens now has a comb almost as big. The main difference in the male and female barred rock is the coloring. The hens are much darker than the roo and the roos markings are a bit more distinct. When all you have is one sex someone's comb has to get a little larger or a little redder and someone has to be a little lighter in color because they ae individuals. If have some that are definitely barred rock hens then it is easier to tell if you have a roo. I was able to tell the roo with my BO's this time too; last time I had them I kept thinking I had at least one hen until I removed the other roos for culling and that one started crowing and chasing the girls.

And yes it is very possible to get a roo from the hen bin.

8. jenesis536

jenesis536 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    CA
    Pretty much every time I get a roo from the pullet bin. I sure know how to pick 'em.

9. foREVer

Mar 10, 2011
    SE Michigan
    The chick is question has MUCH more vibrant coloring than the rest of the BR's.

(pics) Sorry, I had to take the pics pretty quick, so I just let them roost on the back of my muddy four-wheeler [​IMG]

Chick in question: (You can't really see it's comb, but it is actually really big for a chick)
    [​IMG]
    His/Her back feathers:
    [​IMG]

A different BR chick:
    [​IMG]

10. foREVer

Mar 10, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Just wanted to add: the splash on the chick's head is a LOT smaller then the others, and has a stripe underneath it.

(Again, can't really see the comb, but here is what the head marking looks like.)

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by