Possible to have Ameraucanas without fluffy cheeks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by EggPoopers, Aug 24, 2013.

1. EggPoopers

EggPoopers Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2012
    Thunder Bay, Ontario
    Hello, I ordered 10 ameraucana chicks this summer from a local hatchery, my chicks are now 12 weeks old and I have 6 hens and 4 Roos. All of the ameraucana Roos had very prominent fluffy cheeks, but only two of my hens have the fluffy cheeks... I can post photos later tonight, but I have three hens which I'm unsure are even Ameraucanas! Each chicken is completely different colored from the next they are beautiful birds but not so sure the three hens are actually ameraucanas! So can you have ameraucanas without the puffy cheeks? Thanks looking for some insight. I will post photos later tonight of the 3 mystery hens. Ill also add that they all have prominent long tails (because I know the Araucan breed is without tail feathers)
    Thanks again!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Very likely your chickens are Easter Eggers - hatchery bred birds carrying the blue egg gene. Such birds come in a wide range of colors and may or may not have beards. They are sold as 'Americanas', 'Americaunas', but are not true Ameraucanas.

3. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    X2,I only know of 2 hatcheries that sell actual ameraucanas. Ameraucanas only come in 8 excepted colors. If you want to learn more about the breed you can get on this website www.ameraucana.org it is the ameraucana breeders website. You can also get on the ameraucana thread on here and learn a lot. There is also an EE braggers thread you can get on and see what some EEs look like. Both of them should be in my signature.

4. Iuvmychix

Iuvmychix Chillin' With My Peeps

X3! You probably have EE’s but don’t worry they are wonderful birds.:)

5. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Yes, i forgot to mention they are great birds too have. I love mine.

6. Iuvmychix

Iuvmychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes they are really great birds! I can’t complain :)

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You can post pics to be sure they're Easter eggers. It's not unheard of to have smooth faced hens, I'll admit they often throw me off! Plus, I like the puffy cheeks.....

8. EggPoopers

EggPoopers Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2012
    Thunder Bay, Ontario
    Thanks everyone for your quick responses!! I will be posting pics when I get home later today, I love all of these chickens they are such a friendly breed! I have one that I call Sweet Pea, she is the first to come running to me and she stands between my legs and let's me pet her non stop. What I love about this batch is how extremely different each birds colors are from the next! I have never had interest in hatching eggs until I owned these chickens, I think they would have just gorgeous babies!!!

I have two EE roosters then, 5 EE hens and 1 silver laced Wyandotte hen. As well as 4 younger barred rock hens. I heard you shouldn't have too many roosters per hen or they can wear the hens out. Is this okay what I have going on? 2 roosters for 10 hens?

Thanks again everyone!

9. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I agree with the others that yours are most likely EEs unless you ordered from My Pet Chicken or Meyer. That being said, just because they are smooth faced now doesn't mean they won't get beards later. Here are some actual blue and black Ameraucana chicks (with their foster Mom) and they don't really have beards yet:
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by