Possible to Introduce Mature Roosters to Each Other?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by drdoolittle, Sep 21, 2010.

1. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Well, once again, I did something kind of dumb. Saw an ad for 3 buff hens and 1 rooster, and decided to buy the hens. That's not the stupid part. Once I got yhere to pick up the hens, the people told me they would just give the rooster away for free-----most people do. I asked to see him-----stupid part 1. OnceI got a look at him, I just couldn't leave him there----he was bound to become dog food (so the woman said). I brought him home with me-----stupid part 2. So, now I'm wondering if I can successfully integrate him with the flock-----which includes 2 mature roosters. The two I have want to fight, and so does the newcomer. If left alone, will they fight to the death, or will they work out a "pecking order"? My other choice in the matter is to give the rooster to a co-worker who has a farm-----and lots and lots of roosters. I would really like to keep all the roosters----for breeding purposes.

2. drdoolittle

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Anyone?

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It will be difficult if not impossible to integrate a mature rooster into a flock that already contains two mature roosters. Two will gang up on one, and it may be a fight to the death. Sorry.

4. drdoolittle

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Well, then I guess my co-worker has a new rooster. He took 2 other mature roosters I had, I don't know how he gets all his to get along.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by