Possible to separate turkey in same brooder - pics

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SAHMof2, May 16, 2011.

1. SAHMof2

SAHMof2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    So I've given them a larger space to do what they do best but the one turkey in particular is responsible for a lot of loud cheeps from the chicks. It does not play well and they get out of its way although most time it goes looking for someone to jab in the eye.

Is it possible to isolate it while in the same brooder? Clever home made creations....
    Should I calm down because there still is no blood?

[​IMG]

This one is an example of the size difference between turkeys and chicks.

[​IMG]

2. SAHMof2

Sep 11, 2010
    Is it bad that I'm ready to turn these babes outside already?

I ended up moving the turkeys into their own area because several of the chicks beaks had blood on them. Now three of the four turkeys have blood on their beaks. Mean I tell you. Just mean!

I've thought of moving the other three back with the chicks but they were not innocent in pecking at the chicks beaks relentlessly either.

Can anyone give me some suggestions?

Thanks.

3. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    I am not expert but I can tell you what I have found. They need to peck. A red light will not change the need to peck. Put the turkeys in an area big enough for them and give them things on the floor to peck at. Pour their feed around, give them some sand or dirt, hang an apple, give them an aluminum bread pan, the disposable kind..my chicks have spent countless hours pecking and climbing those darn pans. I had one chick that thought toes were worms..put the pan in, no more problems.

4. SAHMof2

Sep 11, 2010
    Apple is hung, watermelon rind too and a ball of tin foil in lieu of tiny tin bowl. THANK YOU!

Currently the turkeys are NOT interested but the chicks are all over it!

I think I might have to rub dh's back for a few hours and beg him to make me a very large box for the garage. I'm obsessing over them and its only day 4.

5. GiddyMoon

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Did you separate them yet? I did have to separate the sizes of my chicks becuase the smaller ones got trampled on when the larger ones went for anything. I would still separate them..just give them things to act out their natural behavior.

6. GiddyMoon

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    And buy some of those pans..I will never brood chicks again without them! [​IMG]

7. SAHMof2

Sep 11, 2010
    I did last night when I saw blood on the little chicks. The turkeys are definitely not their same happy go lucky selves when they are separated from the chicks. But today now the other turkeys have blood from being pecked. I will go to the dollar store tonight when dh comes home from work to get the pans.

Thanks for helping me.

8. GiddyMoon

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Are the turkeys wanting to be back with the chicks?

9. SAHMof2

Sep 11, 2010
    They sleep less and perk up a lot more when they are with the chicks. Can you tell from my picture ... are the turkeys too large to be with the chicks? They step on them constantly but that could be a space issue too. I just told dh I was going to build a large one for the garage tonight ... with his help. [​IMG]

10. GiddyMoon

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    More space is a plus. As long as they are not pecking and causing pain, I guess that is all that matters. Just watch and see I guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by