Possible to start laying/ Ginko Tree

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ninamm, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Ninamm

Ninamm Chirping

Jun 24, 2013
    Sunnyvale, Ca
    Hello,
    I have 3 RIR's and one of the Pullets keeps going in and out of a nesting box. Is this a possible sign that she might be ready to lay?
    Also, we have a Ginko Tree in our back yard that has shoots on it with leaves ( well it did but the chickens have ate what they can reach) is ginko ok for chickens to eat?
    Please let me know.

2. Ninamm

Ninamm Chirping

Jun 24, 2013
    Sunnyvale, Ca
    So nothing on this post???

3. nab58

nab58 Songster

Mar 28, 2013
    CT
    it may be a sign she's getting ready to lay but she also may just be curious. how old is she?

I don't know about ginkgo but it appears to me from observing my birds that they eat what they like and avoid what's not good for them.

4. Ninamm

Ninamm Chirping

Jun 24, 2013
    Sunnyvale, Ca
    The pullet is like almost 5 months old so she was in and out of the box alot yesterday. She would sit in a box for a bit then get up walk out then do it again.
    As for the ginko I think it's ok for them. None are sick from it. So I will watch them still. Thanks again.

5. nab58

nab58 Songster

Mar 28, 2013
    CT
    Good luck....20 weeks,could be any time! They say the hen will make a racket before and during laying.

6. Ninamm

Ninamm Chirping

Jun 24, 2013
    Sunnyvale, Ca
    Her voice is sort of deep and she sounds like a goose honking. So we named her goose or goosey.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by