Possible trouble with Run location?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by critterlover, May 17, 2009.

1. critterlover

critterlover Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2009
    Connecticut
    We have been getting our coop ready for the last few weeks whenever we are not working or had bad weather. Everything has been planned out and we have already put the wire a foot underground around the coop. The run is going to be next.

Here is the problem....After looking at the site map of our property, the leach field was way off to the side of where the run was going to be. Well when we were putting in the last side of the underground wire, one corner of the coop appears to be over the leach field. This was discovered after digging a foot down. That is the side where the run is going to be. I was going to leave the grass as is for the chickens in the run.

Is this now going to be a problem that the run seems to be over where the leach field is? The ground has not been disturbed there, so I don't see why it would, but just wanted to check.

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I wouldn't think so UNLESS the ground is soggy all the time.

The chickens will quickly denude the ground down to bare soil once they are in the pen, so if it stays soggy it will be a mud pie quagmire all the time.

IF the ground is not soggy then it should be fine...just my 3C worth.

3. jjdward

jjdward How bout them DAWGS!

May 4, 2009
    Buchanan, Georgia
    Quote:[​IMG] I'll second that!!

4. ript

ript Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2009
    Black Canyon City
    it'll be fine. if the ground above your leach field is soggy, then you've got bigger issues than where to put the chicken coop! having a few chickens struttin around on it wont hurt it in the least.

leach fields do just that, leach the effluent water back DOWN into the ground water. you wouldnt want to cover it completely tho, as there is some evaporative process at work here too.

5. critterlover

critterlover Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2009
    Connecticut
    Great! That is what I wanted to hear.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by