Possible tumor on my Roo. Please help Larry

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dfish, Jan 18, 2013.

1. dfish

dfish Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    Eastanollee, Ga
    Larry My Black jersey Giant rooster has what looks like a red golf ball size tumor back in between his legs near his anus. I could see a pulse from a vein, I had noticed this after he mounted a hen.
    He is about 8 months old and 9 pounds. Any ideas?

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    not sure what it looks like, he might have something in it that may cause an infection? maybe soak him a warm bath

3. dfish

dfish Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    Eastanollee, Ga
    thebanthams I will try to get a picture posted tomorrow Thank you for the reply.

4. dfish

dfish Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    Eastanollee, Ga
    Herniated Intestines is what the vet thought about it, And real there was no surgery option for this one. I will not cull unless I see him suffering. I have pulled him from his flock due to this can be a gene issue and I will not take that chance with his offspring. He now roams the property with some of my others.

[​IMG]

5. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    aw thats too bad ! Hopefully He will be ok. hope it doesnt grow any bigger !

6. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    If he is obviously in pain, then you should put him out of his misery. I'm sorry this happened. [​IMG] I hope he recovers well.

7. dfish

dfish Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    Eastanollee, Ga
    He seems to be in very good spirits and is acting normal, I can pick him up flip him over and touch the area, He shows no sign of pain or discomfort. I have pulled him from the Jersey flock That I use for breeding, And put him in with my mixed breed run, But the day that he shows that he is any type of pain. I will sadly take care of him.
    I have since got some more blue and Black roo's and more pullets. Thank you all for the replys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by