Possible tumor

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Just1MoreChook, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Just1MoreChook

Just1MoreChook Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2013
    Tacoma, NSW, Australia
    Hoping someone might be able to shed some light on the issue I'm having with poor Thomas the ISA Brown chick.

We lost a chick a couple of weeks ago because it wasn't growing correctly then all of a sudden it died over night. My 3yr old was completley devestated so I went and picked up a replacement.

The chicks about 4 weeks old now and we've had it for about 2 weeks. When we picked it up it seemed to be really calm and happy to be held. It looked a bit tatty but I put it down to the number of chickens the lady had and also the bad weather. It also smelt a bit so I gave it a wash followed by a blow dry.

I noticed today that it seemed to hobble a bit when it walked so I searched the internet and this forum to see if I could find anything to no avail. I thought it was a preening issue because it never seems to preen ever and in the last couple of days it's been losing feathers under it's legs. We have another chick the same age which looks healthy and no problems, and a muscovy duckling (also the same age).

They all snuggle together and I have never seen any fighting. The sick chick seems to lay around alot more than the other chick.

It was very dirty again and it doesn't look like it's preened since the last bath I gave it a couple of weeks ago. I decided to give it another wash when I found what looks like a tumor.

Has anyone seen anything like it?

Thanks for your help. I don't know what I'll say to my 3yr old if this chick dies. :(

Thanks
    Christina

[​IMG]

2. samas

samas Out Of The Brooder

one of my chicks also wobble and sometimes fall over she has doubled her size since i got her and seems to be ok she has severe scaly leg when i got her i thought that was the problem but she still ocasionally wobbles im clueless aswell

3. Just1MoreChook

Feb 12, 2013
    Tacoma, NSW, Australia
    Does it have the same lump? How old is yours now?

Just wondering whether it's worth a trip to the vet :(

4. samas

samas Out Of The Brooder

the lump is the crop ive read somewhere that it swells up when they eat to fast but mine always went down when he drank water it can also be sour crop i think

5. samas

samas Out Of The Brooder

give her some olive oil to drink mine loved it that makes it go down quicker like a teaspoon olive oil

1 person likes this.
  6. Just1MoreChook

Feb 12, 2013
    Tacoma, NSW, Australia
    Thanks I'll try the olive oil now :)

7. Malibu99

Malibu99 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2012
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    That looks like an impacted crop. Open his beak and see if he has 'bad breath'. If he does, it's probably sour crop. If not, it's impacted. X2 on the oil thing. You can massage the crop downward to try to push the food down gently.

8. Just1MoreChook

Feb 12, 2013
    Tacoma, NSW, Australia
    no bad breath!

If it is impacted crop, would this explain the loss of feathers and inability to preen? I don't think I've ever seen her preen yet?

Have dosed up with olive oil, which she loved, have massaged her crop and separated her.

Will go to bed and see how she is in the morning. Fingers crossed!

thanks for all your help.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  9. Malibu99

Malibu99 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2012
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    Sorry, I don't know about the preening. Restrict food for today and see how she does :) She should have plenty of water though.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  10. samas

samas Out Of The Brooder

its a pleasure i hope she will be ok ,try and make her eat slower also that would also help alot

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by