Possible tumor

Just1MoreChook

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 12, 2013
Tacoma, NSW, Australia
Hoping someone might be able to shed some light on the issue I'm having with poor Thomas the ISA Brown chick.

We lost a chick a couple of weeks ago because it wasn't growing correctly then all of a sudden it died over night. My 3yr old was completley devestated so I went and picked up a replacement.

The chicks about 4 weeks old now and we've had it for about 2 weeks. When we picked it up it seemed to be really calm and happy to be held. It looked a bit tatty but I put it down to the number of chickens the lady had and also the bad weather. It also smelt a bit so I gave it a wash followed by a blow dry.

I noticed today that it seemed to hobble a bit when it walked so I searched the internet and this forum to see if I could find anything to no avail. I thought it was a preening issue because it never seems to preen ever and in the last couple of days it's been losing feathers under it's legs. We have another chick the same age which looks healthy and no problems, and a muscovy duckling (also the same age).

They all snuggle together and I have never seen any fighting. The sick chick seems to lay around alot more than the other chick.

It was very dirty again and it doesn't look like it's preened since the last bath I gave it a couple of weeks ago. I decided to give it another wash when I found what looks like a tumor.

Has anyone seen anything like it?

Thanks for your help. I don't know what I'll say to my 3yr old if this chick dies. :(

Thanks
Christina

one of my chicks also wobble and sometimes fall over she has doubled her size since i got her and seems to be ok she has severe scaly leg when i got her i thought that was the problem but she still ocasionally wobbles im clueless aswell

That looks like an impacted crop. Open his beak and see if he has 'bad breath'. If he does, it's probably sour crop. If not, it's impacted. X2 on the oil thing. You can massage the crop downward to try to push the food down gently.

no bad breath!

If it is impacted crop, would this explain the loss of feathers and inability to preen? I don't think I've ever seen her preen yet?

Have dosed up with olive oil, which she loved, have massaged her crop and separated her.

Will go to bed and see how she is in the morning. Fingers crossed!

thanks for all your help.

Last edited:
no bad breath!

If it is impacted crop, would this explain the loss of feathers and inability to preen? I don't think I've ever seen her preen yet?

Have dosed up with olive oil, which she loved, have massaged her crop and separated her.

Will go to bed and see how she is in the morning. Fingers crossed!

thanks for all your help.
Sorry, I don't know about the preening. Restrict food for today and see how she does :) She should have plenty of water though.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom