agold23

Songster
May 25, 2021
I have 20/21 week old easter egger hen who recently developed a swollen eye. I texted the woman I got them from and she said to isolate her (she’s in the 10x10 outdoor cat pen with a wooden crate to sleep in) give her antibiotic eye drops (we will shortly be picking up Visine eye drops) applying a warm compress to her eye, check for pus kernels and in 3-5 days if symptoms don’t improve, we will move to antibiotics. As of yesterday evening, her nose is dry, she’s eating and drinking fine and none of my other flock members are showing symptoms, which is important as my silkie just had her chick hatch. I’m not with the hens right now but I will be visiting later but I have been told that the eye is crusty/watering now. I’m worried it’s an URI as some infections aren’t curable and it would really suck because she an amazing little pullet. If someone can give me good next steps on how to help identify/resolve what’s going on that’d be greatly appreciated! First two pictures are her swollen eye, third one is her normal eye. It’s alarming to look at.

Attachments

• 0762A0A4-EF07-4B0C-9DC1-47C1AA2C5316.jpeg
    0762A0A4-EF07-4B0C-9DC1-47C1AA2C5316.jpeg
    475.7 KB · Views: 31
  • FC19D6B4-5792-4406-A99F-AB22E01F1494.jpeg
    FC19D6B4-5792-4406-A99F-AB22E01F1494.jpeg
    501.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 15DD0082-F46C-4E9E-A2F2-C6A67CFD739C.jpeg
    15DD0082-F46C-4E9E-A2F2-C6A67CFD739C.jpeg
    344.6 KB · Views: 8
How long have you had this bird?

Did the lady mention that she has had sick birds in her flock?

If you're in the United States your state lab can do testing to figure out which disease you are dealing with.

At this point the only reason you should isolate this particular bird from the others is if they are picking on her.

Whatever this bird has the others have already been exposed.

Removing a bird from a flock can stress it which can make its illness worse.

If you're in the United States your state lab can do testing to figure out which disease you are dealing with.

At this point the only reason you should isolate this particular bird from the others is if they are picking on her.

Got her in late April so this is something she must have picked up from a wild bird or an irritation. No sick birds, and if they were they’d be in isolation, being treated and not given to us. I will text again and ask for a second opinion on whether I should let her go back. I just want what’s best for her, and I hope it’s nothing serious.

I am in Canada, I may contact a vet and ask for testing if symptoms worsen or it shows up in other chickens.

Back
Top Bottom