Possible worms in chickens, and not laying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mimischicks, Jan 25, 2013.

1. mimischicks

mimischicks New Egg

Jun 21, 2011
    My chickens haven't layed since Christmas, have pale combs, and are molting alot. They eat and drink well, and behavior seems fine. I have seen some small white wiggling things in some poop, but don't know which or if all of the hens are doing this. I was told it is probably tapeworms, though I would expect I should see long skinny worms, not small rice sized things. I thought cecal worms maybe? How do I treat this, and is there a med to add to water instead of individually? Something to boost their color, and egg production too? Would love to go natural if possible, but am willing to treat with a med if that is the only sure option.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

Ask at your local feedstore or Tractor Supply for Valbazen. If your girls have an obvious infestation of worms it's best to go the chemical route. Also have a look here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...yza-or-crd-parasites-are-rampant#post_7474450

If your girls are molting they won't lay now. Molting takes as much out of them as egg laying does and that combined with the worms can make them very weak. Boost them with extra protein will help, (anything meaty, cat food, scrambled eggs, meal worms) and add a little vitamin supplement to their water too. Good luck!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Wazine wont kill tapes. Valbazen or zimectrin gold will kill them.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Thanks Dawg! [​IMG]

5. spies04

spies04 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Minnesota
    Is the Ivermectin the same paste for horses and if so, how much do you give to the chickens? thanks!!

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Zimectrin Gold equine paste wormer has ivermectin and praziquantel in it. Ivermectin is just about useless as a wormer in chickens. However, it's the praziquantel (aka droncit/drontal) that effectively kills tapeworms in chickens. Dosage is a "pea" size amount given orally to standard size chickens. Dosage for smaller chickens is a "small pea" size amount given orally. Redose again in 10 days. There's a 14 day withdrawal after last use of z-gold. The paste can be put on a piece of bread and given individually to each chicken. It's best to seperate birds and dose one bird at a time...they will try and steal the treated bread from each other, then there's the risk of overdosing.

1 person likes this.
  7. spies04

spies04 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Minnesota
    Great information - thank you!! This has been a great paste for my horses - this will be great that I can use it on my chickens. I appreciate your help!!

8. azbillridge

azbillridge New Egg

Jan 26, 2013
    Is the praziquantel better to worm with than the Safe Guard (contains 10% Fenbendazole)?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I prefer safeguard. I've only used z-gold for stubborn tapeworm removal.

1 person likes this.
  10. deerlady11

deerlady11 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2012
    Thanks for the good info. I have a couple Mammoth Donkeys on the farm. It's good to know I can steal a pea sized amount of their wormer and give to my 2 hens and my Roo. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by