Possible Wry Neck in Grand Champion Silkie

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickldy, Mar 2, 2014.

1. chickldy

chickldy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2013
    Martin County, FL
    After reading lots of posts on wry neck, we're pretty sure this is what our 4 month old silkie has. We brought her home after a weeks stay at our local fair, where she won Grand Champion our first year for 4-H. Noticed symptoms a couple days after; ie, head thrown under body, doing somersaults =( Pretty sure it's from jumping and hitting her head before the fair at home (she has a vaulted head), plus probably being stressed at the fair.
    We immediately started a treatment of no iron poly vi sol (dropper full) vit e, selenium (1/4 tab crushed), fish oil & baby aspirin (1/2 crushed). Some only once daily (asa, selenium, fish oil). Plus we added Kaytee Exact formula, because she won't touch eggs, yogurt or regular feed, and won't drink water. She's dropped weight. However, once we started the formula, she's gotten much better, eats with gusto, and don't have to support her head to do this =) She may go an hour or so acting completely normal - then her head whips under her body, and tumbles occasionally =/ We are feeding her twice daily, letting her have her full. today I started feeling her crop- this evening it was squishy and maybe 1/2 full, from what she ate this morning. How long does it take to empty??
    We've read this can take weeks or months, which we are willing to do, she's special to us. If anyone has other things that have worked, please let me know!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  2. MySweetChickens

MySweetChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2014
    Michigan
    When my rooster had wry neck i gave him vitamin c pills he was cured in a couple of months

3. chickldy

chickldy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2013
    Martin County, FL
    I should have updated =) we've gone about two weeks with her acting pretty normal. She started to refuse what we were making her eat ( the formula & vitamins), we'd pretty much started to prepare for the worst! A day or two passed, she was still alive. Then we caught her eating & drinking all by herself, we couldn't believe it!! She has put a little weight back on, head is held high & no sign she was ever in such bad shape-so keeping our fingers crossed. Now to just get rid of the fish smell she's emitting from the supplements =-p lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by