Possible wry neck

Kholbert

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2020
Indiana,US
My Coop
My Coop
When a chicken has wry neck does it's head shake seemingly uncontrollably.
I have done a lot of research and it seems to got her symptoms but I don't read anything about the twitching that is happening when she has her neck "episodes"

When a chicken has wry neck does it's head shake seemingly uncontrollably.
I have done a lot of research and it seems to got her symptoms but I don't read anything about the twitching that is happening when she has her neck "episodes"
Welcome To BYC

Can you take a video? Upload to youtube and provide a link.

How old is the chicken?
What do you feed?
How long have you had him/her?
Where are you located in the world?
Head shaking, have you looked in the ears for infection or mites. Is the crop empty in the morning?

Wry Neck is a neurological symptom. Some common causes are Marek's, head trauma and vitamin deficiency.

Well he isn't doing it anymore. We are in Indiana. Almost 6 weeks. And I had him since he was hatched. After I noticed I gave him vitamin E along with Nutridrench
And treated my whole flock of 2week-6week chickens with corid for coccidiousis.
After 6daus of vitamin E it started building his head up more. And as of day 8 he hasn't done it 1 time that I have seen for a whole day. :)
(I think the had coccidiousis which caused a vitamin deficiency)

20200413_130643.jpg
20200413_130643.jpg

My daughter got rhem from class and her teacher brought thwm with non medicated feed. But once that was gone, I had them on medicated feed for the last 2 weeks.

Well he isn't doing it anymore. We are in Indiana. Almost 6 weeks. And I had him since he was hatched. After I noticed I gave him vitamin E along with Nutridrench
And treated my whole flock of 2week-6week chickens with corid for coccidiousis.
After 6daus of vitamin E it started building his head up more. And as of day 8 he hasn't done it 1 time that I have seen for a whole day. :)
(I think the had coccidiousis which caused a vitamin deficiency)
Glad that he's doing better.
Vitamin E and Nutri-Drench are good for treating symptoms of Wry Neck if it's caused by vitamin deficiency.

Coccidiosis is not caused by vitamin deficiency it is caused by an overload of protozoa (Coccidia). They are found in the poop and soil. Keeping litter dry and water stations cleaned help prevent overload, but it's not uncommon for birds to become sick. As they mature and are exposed (plus treated if there is an overload) they build resistance to what's found in their environment.

Back
Top Bottom