Possible Wry Neck

TrueDat

In the Brooder
Aug 9, 2022
Hi Everyone.
My 5 month old Columbian Wyandott recently developed Wry Neck (or at least what I think might be Wry Neck). Last week when I went outside to put ice in the chicken's water, I noticed that she had not left the coop to join the other chickens in the run. I found her on the roosting bar with her neck twisted upward. I initially thought that her neck was broken because she was not lifting her neck as I tried to give her water.

I immediately separated her from the flock and walked away to get some electrolytes to add to her water. When I came back out, her head was back up and she was walking around. When I tried to handle her again she began to tremor and twisted her neck back up. I decided to keep her in our brooder so I could keep an eye on her. We have given her poultry cell in her water (contains vitamin E and selenium) and some scrambled eggs with her food for the past week. I also treated her and the rest of the flock for parasites using safe-guard goat dewormer.

When she is in the brooder she is typically balled up with her neck twisted and needs a lot of coaxing to eat and drink. If I bring her outside and give her space she perks up and will eat and drink just fine. She walks around fine, but every 2-3 minutes she has this weird tremor, balls her neck up for about 30 seconds, and then lifts her head back up like nothing happened. When she is stressed she definitely gets worse, so I recently decided to reunite her with the hens. We separated the rooster because we did not want him trying to mate with her. My husband thinks that the rooster may have injured her neck when trying to mate with her.

Anyway, after about a week and a half of vitamin supplements she does not seem to be getting better. Now I am wondering if it could be something else that is causing the wry neck. Does anyone have anyone have any other suggestions for me to try with her?

Thanks for the support guys!

Hello and welcome to BYC! :welcome
How is she
Hello and welcome to BYC! :welcome
How is she doing?

Thank you for welcoming me to BYC. We still have not seen an improvement in our hen. I’m not sure what else to do for her. She eats and drinks on her own, but she can’t seem to find her way into the hen house at night and I have to help her come back out to the run every morning.

This is her when she gets stressed. She tremors and then her neck goes under her body. 2 minutes after taking this picture she lifted her head back up and began hunting for bugs.

Even when she is not stressed she will tremor and twist her neck approximately every 3-5 minutes. It is the strangest thing, because if we let her go back into the run she eats and drinks independently. She just can’t make her way up to the hen house at night or balance on the roosting bars.

Could this be Marek’s disease, and if so will her symptoms disappear?

Attachments

• 08839F05-F189-4565-9343-5CB7AB851FF7.jpeg
    08839F05-F189-4565-9343-5CB7AB851FF7.jpeg
    712.4 KB · Views: 24
Mareks is down on the list for wry neck, but it can be a symptom. Wry neck can occur with a head or neck injury, a vitamin E or B1 thiamine deficiency, and is seen in a few infectious diseases. I would give some human vitamins: 400 IU of vitamin E, a 1/4 tablet daily of B complex or other B vitamin, and a few bits of scrambled egg that contains selenium. Hopefully, younwill see some improvement soon.

Mareks is down on the list for wry neck, but it can be a symptom. Wry neck can occur with a head or neck injury, a vitamin E or B1 thiamine deficiency, and is seen in a few infectious diseases. I would give some human vitamins: 400 IU of vitamin E, a 1/4 tablet daily of B complex or other B vitamin, and a few bits of scrambled egg that contains selenium. Hopefully, younwill see some improvement soon.
Thank you for your advice. I just gave her some vitamin E and B complex. I also decided to give her some tumeric tea because I read that on another similar forum.

Cross your fingers for me!!

Do you have an update on this girl? Curious to know how she’s doing!
Thanks for asking. I think we are seeing some improvement. She can use the ramp to get up to the coop now, but she still can’t balance on the roosting bars.

I’m still pumping her with vitamins and crossing my fingers for a full recovery. It seems to be very slow progress, but I’ll take it :)

Back
Top Bottom