Possiblitly she'll get overthrown/

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TheTwoRoos, Jun 4, 2016.

1. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    I was curious about lead hens and other hens.

our lead hen stays away in the mornings doing nothing but roosting.I was wandering if this could cause her to lose her spot in the order?She isn't what I would want for a 2nd leader,but if I ere a chicken,I would have overthrown her,but of course I look at things differently from them.

Also,will new hens have to go threw all the chickens to become the top hen,or does she just have to beat the lead hen up and that gives her atuamatic top position?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    My lead hen is my oldest hen. She doesn't participate in too many flock activities anymore at 8 years old, but everyone gets out of her way and she maintains her status in the flock without needing to defend it. Older flock members are often always thought of as dominant and most pecking order disputes are between members of the same age raised in the same clutch. So your hen may always be dominant, or she has lost her position and is hiding.

3. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    im not sure if anyone has got the guts to do that yet.When she is outside doing things,eating etc everyone respects that (Only the bravest will steal her bread.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by