Possibly a molt, I hope

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Raven72ab, May 23, 2019.

1. Raven72ab

Raven72ab In the Brooder

May 17, 2019
    I have a cochin that is about 14 months old and we have noticed a lot of feathers we believe are hers in the coop area. We also don't think she is laying now. She seems to be acting ok she walks around and forages for bugs but just loosing a lot of feathers and no egg in several days maybe a week. She usually lays 2 days then skips a day. I'm somewhat new to the chicken game so any and all help is appreciated.

CityslickerHomestead likes this.
  2. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    Pictures of her would help, but it's not impossible that it is a molt. I have one bird molting now, her internal clock always starts her molt very early every single year. Look her over for any pinfeathers coming in, that would confirm a molt. They are usually most obvious around the head and neck, around the tail and under wings. I would check her over for lice/mites while you have her, just to be sure.

3. CityslickerHomestead

CityslickerHomestead Songster

Apr 5, 2019
    Montana
    Sounds like you described a typical molt. If her appetite changes and she’s not showing interest in eating, then I’d be worried.

Not all chickens molt in the same pattern, but usually it starts at the head and works it’s way down.

I’ve ready that now is a good time to provide more protein in the diet as new feathers require a lot of it.

Henriettamom919 likes this.
  4. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Songster

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    I'd check for signs of mites and barring that check for new feather growth. If you see new feathers developing start supplementing her protein by giving her a little scrambled egg during the molting or switching to a higher protein feed.

Apple cider vinegar is also a great overall health additive that can be added to her water.

A vitamin boost its always good, too, like nutridrench.

ETA- Supplement protein, not calcium.

5. CityslickerHomestead

CityslickerHomestead Songster

Apr 5, 2019
    Montana
    I’ve seen tons of suggestions for nutridrench on the forums lately. I think I’m going to buy some to have on hand in case I need it immediately.

6. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Songster

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    Regardless of the issue, I'd start your baby on vitamins and electrolytes.

7. Raven72ab

Raven72ab In the Brooder

May 17, 2019
    Again wow thank you all for the replies. I've attached some pics, kinda hard to hold her and get pics. I add ACV to their water every fill up, 1oz per gallon. We give them several hand fulls of dried mealworms at time to go in the coop area. The 1st pic is there food 2nd pic is on her back between the wings 3rd is her crop which her whole breast looks bare 4th is her feet which are usually covered with feathers.
    20190523_175521.jpg 20190523_174756.jpg

Attached Files:

Sequel likes this.
  8. Sequel

Sequel Crowing

You've got pin feathers! Yay!

9. Raven72ab

Raven72ab In the Brooder

May 17, 2019
    So we're going to say it's her molt?

Sequel likes this.