possibly a purple peahen?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by peachick, Jul 28, 2010.

1. peachick

peachick Songster

Aug 8, 2007
    Maryland 21787
    Hi Guys! I have had a visiting peahen for about a week.... she hangs out by our burn pile and shes QUITE wild acting and she wont get within 200-300 feet of me.
    Although she has bonded with a white eye peahen I recently released (since breeding season is over already [​IMG]( ). yesterday she did follow the WE hen when I was tossing treats out in the yard... as soon as I walked away the wild one went to eat.... she looks to be in great condition... although hungry [​IMG] She is not as large as the WE hen so I am guessing this girl is maybe a yearling. I'll probably move some birds today to open up a pen and see if she will go in it to eat... eventually.... and then lock her up!

Fortunately I have a brand new fancy camera and a great lens and was able to get a few photos of her.
    I think shes a purple hen... the color on her neck looks more purple than green.... can anyone confirm this? I have a lot of peacocks.... but have never had purple.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kev

Kev Crowing

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Purple hen's bodies are similar to cameo. In fact you could do well with describing a purple hen as "cameo hen with purple shine on neck".

She's not purple.. can see the neck is not shining off green. Have you seen pictures of Sonja's Violeta? From what I understand, their bodies look normal but neck color is a little different.. compare her with that color?

3. Pavo Royale

Pavo Royale Songster

Jul 6, 2009
    Gainesville, GA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These are the best pictures I have readily available. In the first pic the purple hen is on the right and in the middle in the second. She looks the same now a year later. Brown. Brown flights, brown breast and brown crest. Just a slight hint of purple in her neck.

The others are a white eye male (right in both pics) and a split white hen.

4. bandbaustin

bandbaustin Songster

May 21, 2009
    Valparaiso, IN
    If it were me, I would try to capture her in some way and use her in a breeding program. You could have a new color on your hands.

5. peachick

peachick Songster

Aug 8, 2007
    Maryland 21787
    Quote:hahaha
    I spose she is an IB she just has more color on her then mine have... and i dont see any sign of spalding...
    She is penned now... and very much not happy about it [​IMG]

6. Phage

Phage Mad Scientist 9 Years

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:hahaha
    I spose she is an IB she just has more color on her then mine have... and i dont see any sign of spalding...
    She is penned now... and very much not happy about it [​IMG]

She may not be happy but you are [​IMG]

7. Jenifer Kraus

Jenifer Kraus Chirping

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Kathleen, she does look like an IB, and glad you caught her. She knew where to come. I had 5 little IB babies hatch in my flower bed yestereday and promptly carried them with their mom following close behind to a pen and they are doing great.

8. Id set up a trap....

9. coloradopeafowl

coloradopeafowl Chirping

Jun 28, 2010
    Lakewood, CO
    To me she really doesn't look like an india blue hen. If I where you i would email a couple pics of hen to Brad Legg or George Conner and see what they have to say?

10. peachick

peachick Songster

Aug 8, 2007
    Maryland 21787
    Quote:Thanks Im glad somebody else sees the difference in her. She just has more color to her than an IB, and the top of her head is that redish color instead of the dark brown IB girls have. She has no white flights.
    I have not looked at her too much since shes been penned, but will try to get better photos and send them to maybe George and Doug.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: