Possibly a rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TheRoundPen, Mar 20, 2013.

1. TheRoundPen

TheRoundPen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2013
    Yesterday I picked up 8 chicks the other day and one that is supposed to be a red sex link pullet I'm doubting.

[​IMG]

biggest one of the bunch

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

more natural lighting.

Any ideas?

2. Chickenclucker

Chickenclucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2012
    Western Slope, Co
    Kind of hard to tell the gender... possibly the chick is bigger than the rest because it is older? If you are unsure check the wing feathers. Have they come in more than the other chicks as well because thats a sure sign its older than the others. Which would explain why its bigger

3. Chickenclucker

Chickenclucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2012
    Western Slope, Co
    As for the breed..if you dont think its a red sex link maybe other options are white leghorn, buff cochin..does it have feathered feet?

4. TheRoundPen

Feb 23, 2013
    as for the breed, I'm pretty sure it is the sex link. no feathering on this little chicks feetfeet. I got this one with two others. all the guy had left was barred rocks, black Australians and red sexlinks he said. it's been awhile since I picked up chicks, but this one just didn't look like a pulley from what I remember.

there might be a possibility of buff Arlington, I'm not sure about the white leghorns. I'll just post a picture in a few weeks to get opinions then. haha

5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    It's a SL pullet. It is definately a few days older than the other chicks. Also, this hybrid is designed to be fast-maturing. Even if they were the same age, she'd probably out-grow the others. She will definately lay first.

6. TheRoundPen

Feb 23, 2013
    thanks for that. she is the same age as two of the chicks, then the other 5are younger. last time I got the sls, that was all w got so they all were big at the same time. haha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by