Possibly a stupid question

Discussion in 'Geese' started by NoisyNora, Aug 11, 2011.

1. NoisyNora

NoisyNora Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    Is there such a thing as a quiet goose? I am looking to raise a goose or two for meat. I live in the suburbs so I need a quiet breed. Is there such a thing? Thanks for the help.

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I don't know about which one is considered the quietest, but you definitely do not want to get a Chinese. They are the loudest by far.

3. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    No stupid questions...and no quiet geese.
    I would highly recommend raising Muscovy Ducks for meat.
    See my websites Muscovy page for more details.

4. greenfamilyfarms

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Yeah, a Muscovy is larger breed duck but is a lot quieter than other ducks and geese. I think they are on a special type of list now for migratory birds, so check on that to see if that will be an issue where you live.

5. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    My Muscovies only "migrate" to the food dish. [​IMG]
    The males can't fly and even my unclipped females rarely fly
    and their wings can be clipped.
    As long as you feed them they won't leave.
    Unless you live in Florida or the deep south I wouldn't worry about it.
    I believe according to the new law you can raise Muscovies for meat
    wit no permits.

6. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:That law is very confusing, but even the previous version had a exception for Moscovy raised for meat, pushed thru by the bigger growers. the backyard flock question hasn't really been raised or settled. IMO Moscovy are the best adult meat duck,[Pekins are eaten mostly as ducklings] their meat is nowhere as fatty as a good goose however,so may disapoint if that feature of goose meat is inportant to you.
    Cottage Rose is right on there are no quiet geese.

7. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    It depends upon what you mean by "quiet". My geese seem to burble fairly non-stop, but it is not a loud noise, more like a background hum.

If they honk, that is a loud noise, but they rarely honk.

My ducks, on the other hand, not only mumble softly almost nonstop, but the females give out an outrageously loud string of quacks every now and again for no apparent reason.

If noise is a serious issue for you, either get Muscovy ducks or buy sexed ducklings and only get drakes. Drakes can't make the loud quacking noise. Pekins are the best breed if your only goal is meat. They grow really fast and have excellent feed conversion. They are also easy going ducks.

Unfortunately, the noise level of geese varies by the individual goose. My Pomeranian has honked maybe 6 times in all the time I've owned her, but the breed has a reputation for being noisy. So it is luck of the draw and you won't know whether you have a quiet goose or a loud one until after you are already attached.

8. greenfamilyfarms

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Here's what I could find concerning the Muscovy from the US Fish and Wildlife Service. Basically Muscovy are considered evasive species in areas other than southern Texas and they are trying to control their numbers in the wild. Therefore, you can keep them for home meat production but not to release into the wild for hunting, etc.

http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/R...2010/Muscovy Duck Final Rule 1 March 2010.pdf

9. LLCoyote

LLCoyote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    In TN you are no longer allowed to raise Muscovies as pets, you must have a permit to raise meat birds. That's what I was told at least.

10. NoisyNora

NoisyNora Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    I am looking into Muscovies, but was hoping for a goose or two in addition to the ducks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by