Possibly abnormal poos and ? about worms *PICS*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lothiriel, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    3 different kinds I'm not sure about...

This one I've seen lots of. I tried cutting one of those round things open but they're rcok hard. Any ideas? Is it just some kind of seed they've been eating lots of?
    [​IMG]

I've seen this one a lot too. It's black and tar-like. This one's runny-ish, but some are more solid...
    [​IMG]

This one... It's just so runny and when it comes out it goes all over like a squirt... [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are all fresh, if that's something important. Are they abnormal? Is there something that's causing them? I found that UK forum link with the poo pictures and they don't look like these ones.

I really need to deworm my birds - never done it with real dewormer, just DE like maybe once. (Yeah... I'm guilty. [​IMG]) My NHR has a *gross* backside. I've cleaned it a couple times - last time actually had to pull out several of the feathers because they were just so caked with poop. That was back in June I believe, and now it's all caked up again, and a lot of her poo just kind of oozes out and sticks on the old stuff. Pretty sick, I know. Could that be caused by worms??

Any other ideas??

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  2. Hillsvale

Hillsvale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    [​IMG]

wasn't expecting this! lol

Not much help except to say they are eating something which isn't digesting in the first pic... and the black poo looks like what my turkeys produce... lots of bugs etc made that one!

3. Lothiriel

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    lol Should I edit the title?? [​IMG] I'll do that.

Okay. So just lots of bugs... and non-digestible something... Thank you Hillsvale. [​IMG]

Anyone about the runny one??

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Those all look normal to me. Dog-gone-it! I can't remember the link.....somebody will come along shortly, and they have a link with pics of bad poos and good poos. Those all look fine to me, and lately, my chickens have those seeds in their poo too. There are some bushes that grow wild around my woods, and I'm betting they eat them.

I'm pretty sure you've got nothing to worry about! [​IMG]

5. Lothiriel

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
  6. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:THAT'S IT! I'm always watching their poos too......(are we wierdos or what! haha) [​IMG]

7. Lothiriel

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Quote:THAT'S IT! I'm always watching their poos too......(are we wierdos or what! haha) [​IMG]

I know. I feel a little weird doing that... Let's stand around in the morning until we've seen everybody go poop and then I'll be okay. lol It must be something peculiar to chicken owners. [​IMG]

8. Aimless Farmer

Aimless Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2007
    N. Central MA
    I wait for the first morning poops, too!
    My brother-in-law accuses me of being a Scatophiliac!!

9. Hillsvale

Hillsvale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia

I know. I feel a little weird doing that... Let's stand around in the morning until we've seen everybody go poop and then I'll be okay. lol It must be something peculiar to chicken owners. [​IMG]

No... its not and yes you are... [​IMG]

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Lothiriel. I didnt see any worms in those samples, but it doesnt mean they dont have worms. I recommend you take some fresh samples to your local vet and have them check the samples. They can tell you if you need to worm your chickens and with what type of wormer if needed. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by