possibly blind?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kerriliane, Jun 19, 2011.

1. kerriliane

kerriliane Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Langley, BC, Canada
    I have a chicken I hatched in april? I think...
    Hes quite cute, and when he sits.. its on his butt with his legs stretched straight out.
    at first I thought he might be sick... but now, I'm thinking hes partly blind.
    you can get really close to him and at the last second hell get all startled and move around.. and whne you pick him up, he kinda quacks... and wehn you put him back down he stumbles around for a bit.
    When all the other chickens are in the coop.. he just stands outside getting soaked.

I think he may be blind because his pupils are not black like every other chicken.. they are black with that glazed look that a dog with cataracts has...
    is that possible in a baby chicken to be partly blind, or to have cataracts?

2. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    Yes, it's entirely possible. Is he managing to find his food & drink ok? Is he growing at the same rate as the others?

Blind chickens can live happily ever after, with the right care. I know there are some people on here with direct experience, so hopefully they'll be along soon to give you more info x

3. Smittenroade

Smittenroade Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    North East Texas
    Probably don't want to breed him though, depending on the reason of blindness it can be genetic I believe.

4. kerriliane

kerriliane Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Langley, BC, Canada
    hes the biggest of the 3 hatchlings. i dont think hes compltely blind and he eats and drinks no problem. he used to quack which is why i thought he may be sick but now he ust makes little noises not chicken or duck like.
    hes quite silly and I dont think hed know how to mate if he tried.. the female would run away before he could make it up on her!

5. Smittenroade

Smittenroade Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    North East Texas
    Quote:lmao sounds like you have a unique little guy there! [​IMG] Those are always the ones you get closest to! and also the hardest to let go when the time comes [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by