Possibly broody leghorn?!

Aug 1, 2020
Arkansas
So one of my White Leghorns has been spending more time in the nesting box and I have found her sitting on the other pullers eggs as well. She’s been in there for about 2 hours now. I grabbed the other eggs out from under her and was looking for hers. She finally laid it but is snuggled up on top of it now. I plan to take the egg out as we got rid of our cockerel well over a month ago. We plan to get some ducklings (maybe some chicks too?) but I’m not going to raise them with our 4 girls.

Oh and she’s our sassier of the 2 LHs

Attachments

• 7C63328C-EC0F-4288-B25F-7835B44E3C4D.jpeg
    7C63328C-EC0F-4288-B25F-7835B44E3C4D.jpeg
    368.3 KB · Views: 6
So one of my White Leghorns has been spending more time in the nesting box and I have found her sitting on the other pullers eggs as well. She’s been in there for about 2 hours now. I grabbed the other eggs out from under her and was looking for hers. She finally laid it but is snuggled up on top of it now. I plan to take the egg out as we got rid of our cockerel well over a month ago. We plan to get some ducklings (maybe some chicks too?) but I’m not going to raise them with our 4 girls.

Oh and she’s our sassier of the 2 LHs
Not typical broody pose.... does she growl + peck?

A broody hen will spend all day and night on the eggs, and usually get quite nasty when you approach. She looks like a new layer, so she may just be getting used to things. Bloodiness in leghorns isn’t typical - but of course anything is possible.

I didn’t think it was likely either. She’s been laying for about 2 months now: her behavior has changed more recently. I think she was just cozy today. She’s out and about now after about 3-4 hours total. She’s been going off by herself when they free range and was under a gardening shelf/rack thing recently for a while.

Back
Top Bottom