Possibly deaf or handicap baby chick?

JennyLeeF

Chirping
Nov 6, 2020
I have a flock of Rhode Island Reds going into their second week. One of the baby chicks eats her high protein crumble regularly, drinks her vitamin/electrolyte water regularly, sleeps fine, peeps, and is active. She however has fused wing feathers (the long wing feathers) is smaller than the others and does not eat bugs. It seems when I put mealworms down for her and the others she just stands there and gets run over by the other chicks as they pile on the bugs.

I took her from the warm tub and put her on a heating pad with some mealworms and nothing. She doesn't seem to understand to eat them, even though she sees (I think) others eat them.

I thought she was blind but she clearly sees where everything is and my hand coming at her. She could possibly be deaf and does not hear the other chicks. She literally just stands there looking confused when all the other chicks run around excited with their meal worms.

I have a video of her just staring at a pile of mealworms. Should I worry? She is growing slower, has fused wings, and seems to have some other problem I'm not sure of.
Video link
https://youtu.be/OXRGBuGtOb0

Any thoughts or help appreciated. Thank you.

No worries I’ve had several do the same thing and them a few weeks later they wouldn’t give you time to hand them mealworms bc they were so excited lol. I don’t think she’s deaf but just to test her just wait till she’s asleep and take ur cellphone and play a loud video of chicks or a chicken flock. She’s just alil slower then the rest but she’ll catch up :)

No worries I’ve had several do the same thing and them a few weeks later they wouldn’t give you time to hand them mealworms bc they were so excited lol. I don’t think she’s deaf but just to test her just wait till she’s asleep and take ur cellphone and play a loud video of chicks or a chicken flock. She’s just alil slower then the rest but she’ll catch up :)
Thank you. I'm pretty sure she is deaf. Though I'm not sure why this would make her slower than the other. Perhaps she doesn't hear their peeps so, doesn't know that its food. Not sue.

I hope you are right and shell be OK when she's older. So far she seems happy.

Kiara,

I wanted to give you an update. You were 100% correct. Although I think she is deaf she did catch up to everyone else. Her wing feathers finally spread out more and she now is eating and behaving just like all the others. Thank you so much!

Kiara,

I wanted to give you an update. You were 100% correct. Although I think she is deaf she did catch up to everyone else. Her wing feathers finally spread out more and she now is eating and behaving just like all the others. Thank you so much!
I have a mostly deaf rooster and he does just fine.

Some chicks don't take to the mealworms like others do, just like some humans don't like one food and others love it...
I wouldn't worry about the chick until it STOPS eating or drinking. That's the time to worry.

Back
Top Bottom